Rounded Edge Bunks

Looking to redo my bunks and looking at GatorBaks for my SX-190

GatorBak has an option for rounded edge boards instead of typical straight edge boards.

Is there any benefit/advantage to the rounded edge? From the pics on GatorBak's website it looks like there'd be less in contact with the rounded edge.

2. Banned
    Interesting, when I redid my carpet on the bunks I took a circular saw and cut a slight angle on the edge where the carpet had been worn the most. I think the rounded edge might be to help keep from digging into the strakes corners if your bunk boards are tight like mine were.

3. <B>BBC SPONSOR</B>
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottCook View Post
    Looking to redo my bunks and looking at GatorBaks for my SX-190

GatorBak has an option for rounded edge boards instead of typical straight edge boards.

Is there any benefit/advantage to the rounded edge? From the pics on GatorBak's website it looks like there'd be less in contact with the rounded edge.

The rounded gatorbaks are designed for the Phoenix boats due to hull design.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter689 View Post
    The rounded gatorbaks are designed for the Phoenix boats due to hull design.
    We actually went to Marine Master and Phoenix to get Input for the design of the rounded edge Bunk cover GBR350 (Gatorbak Rounded Edge 3.5" wide) It fit's the bunk boards supplied by Marine Master on their Phoenix Trailers. We actually went there and took home samples of their bunk boards to work with. Great bunch of Guys, Very friendly. It Takes a 3/4" rounded Router bit to replicate their process to make those bunk boards. Phoenix boats chines are round and not flat. Thus the need for rounded bunks

Funny story, We sent regular flat 2x4 covers to them as samples the first time around. That brought up the whole conversation to begin with. I still have the samples we sent to them at Phoenix boxed up where they sent them back to us. when I see them it reminds me to look under the carpet before making a recommendation for covers. I would bet there are some Phoenix Owners that don't know this either. Carpet hides a lot of the true profile.
    Last edited by jvanmeter; 02-13-2017 at 03:10 PM.

5. Member
    I've had my Gatorbaks laying in my basement for about 3 months. Just got around to borrowing a friends router and ordering a 3/4rounding bit yesterday. Given the pain of having to round the boards I'm going all out and getting some Cyprus wood on my next drive from Florida. Would have been so much easier if PHX did not have to round the edges.
    2024 Phoenix 818
    2024 merc 175 pro xs 3B411947