Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

rigging new ultrex

hey guys,i picked up a new ultrex and was wondering how any of you guys have dealt with getting the wire from the uni-transducer down to your locator?im wondering why minnkota just dosnt put it inside with the steering cable sleeve and have it come out down by the pedal;?..its kinda disappointing that i still have to have a cable zip tied to the steering cable sleeve!

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST!!!!!!

2. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    good point
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

3. Banned
    Whatever you do, don't zip tie it to the trolling motor sleeve

I have the saltwater Minn Kota Riptide STs w/ I-pilot on both my bay boat and bass boat and I don't know squat about an Ultrex, but other than color and the cable drive, I think they are similar. Are you wanting to run a transducer cable from the foot to your locator without using cable ties?
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyBoy30 View Post
    Whatever you do, don't zip tie it to the trolling motor sleeve

Why not? How should it be run

6. Member
    Power wires are in the sleeve, helps create interference. Mine goes up shaft and then it's zip tied to the silver housing. I keep it as far from the sleeve as I can
    2016 f250 diesel
    2013 phoenix 920xp
    250 pro xs
    pb 9.72

7. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    RF interference is a bitch to track down and eliminate. Do yourself a favor and just run it down the mount taking care not to tie it fast at any points where it might get pinched.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

8. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 354ranger View Post
    Why not? How should it be run
    thats the quickest way to introduce interference. thats why they don't put the cable in the sheat

9. Member
    Ok please tell me this is a joke! Against my better judgment I just spent $3500 on this thinking I will find a way to deal with the tilted shaft and now this. No disrespect intended but that looks like crap. I haven't opened the box yet but if this is true I think I will be returning it. So frustrating when a company rushes a product to market just to be the first and don't get it right.

10. Banned
    you expected it to be different than any other trolling motor ever made? the fish finder is simply doing what it's built to do. it's your job to do a proper install and do your best to stop it from happening

11. Member
    My Fortex isn't like that, and I have no interference issues. I use the US2 and have no cables tie rapped anywhere.

12. Banned
    your not getting the results you would with a real transducer with the us2 though

13. Member
    thats the quickest way to introduce interference. thats why they don't put the cable in the sheat

That's exactly how I have my transducer cable routed on my Fortrex.

I've been routing mine that way on my Maxxum since way back when I still had a 510c on the bow. I just loosely zip tie it to a couple of spots on the TM frame and then down the shaft. Roll the excess into a figure 8 and stow behind the bow panel. I don't have mine covered like Troy does and it's barely noticeable. I'm guessing that Troy has more than one cable where I only have the one for my 798.

I don't use zip ties on the shaft. I use 3M electrical tape instead. Zip ties with cut or chafe the cable if they are too tight and they also tend to snag weeds and snot moss.
    Don't worry Ma'am....
    I'm only here for the
    Bass.

15. Banned
    yea several cables. i have a gt52 trasnducer as well as a panoptix transducer
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 02-16-2017 at 07:35 AM.

I ran my HB transducer cable down the arm and then moved it down the steering cable of my Ultrex. I have used it 17 days now with it down the cable and I don't have any interference SI, DI or 2D. I do have a choke on the transducer cable because I had interference from my Fortrex when I was running it.

17. Banned
    some people get lucky
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 02-16-2017 at 07:35 AM.

some people get lucky
    Luck or RF choke? I'm going with choke but I'm not the expert on sonar or the Ultrex that you are. I could just be lucky I guess.

19. Banned
    interference is complicated and different for every install. with my humminbirds, i had to add a tmc1, ferric rings, ground between batteries and had my trolling motor internally grounded. when i switched to garmin i was able to remove all of that. sometimes it seems you can't get rif of it no matter what you do and others you don't have it at all.
    Last edited by TroyBoy30; 02-16-2017 at 07:34 AM.

20. Member
    I have good success with the US2. I do most of my fishing on Erie and can track my drop shot down to 50 ft (if the waves will let me). I have fished on buddies boats that run other transducers and haven't noticed that big of a difference if any at all. Maybe a very slight better bottom separation. And defiantly no difference in shallow water. Minkota had a nice set up with the fortrex I wish they kept this one the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast