What's the best inflatable life vest?

I'm in the market to purchase an inflatable life vest. What's the best brand and model for tournament fishing?
    2009 Triton 21 hp pro
    2020 Mercury 250 pro xs 4 stroke

2. Member
    Mustang Elite Inflatable PFD
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

3. Member
    I really like my Mustang Elite 28 (MD5183). I find it MUCH more comfortable than the Cabela's model I had before. It does a great job of getting the weight on your shoulders instead of hanging around your neck.

I think Mustang is a reputable company with a good history, but I can't honestly claim it's "the best". I've never had to rely on it to save me.

I've got 2 of the Mustang life jackets and love them. But they are bulky and hot during the warm months. That's why I'm shopping for the inflatable versions

5. Member
    ^^^^^^

The Mustang I referred to is inflatable.

6. Member
    I wear my Mustang Elite inflatable every second I am in the boat. Most comfortable PFD I have ever owned.

I have the one BPS sells, don't remember the brand but it is extremely comfortable. So much so sometimes I forget I've got it on when I get back to the ramp and put the trailer in the water.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    I'm going to buy my first inflatable ever and going with the BPS model just because they are on sale for $79.95 and I have a BPS gift cert. I normally wear an Impact vest but thought I'd give the inflatable a whirl.

9. Member
    It doesnt happen often but their are stories of them not inflating (not one particular brand, just inflatables in general) so I wont risk my life to one. Maybe for slow boats like jon boats or canoes but for the bigger boats going 70+mph, not worth the risk of getting knocked out and drowning when it doesnt inflate.
    John Wolff
    2003 Allison XB21 2+2
    2003 Mercury 250xs

10. Member
    I have owned two different inflatables: the first was the original SOSpenders model about 16 years ago that had a pill type activator cartridge which rain or moisture would set off if you did not change it over to a manual jacket. Now I own the Mustang Elite with the HIT technology and I was very concerned at some of the post regarding the inflatables not going off and so forth. The boat wreck that everyone has commented on here for the last few weeks regarding blowout or steering breaks really showed me the life jacket I wanted to see not that the wreck was not concerning enough. I watched the wreck and then have gone back to watch the inflatable jackets. Both guys had on inflatables and went out pretty violently but they went off immediately and they were both back inside the boat with in two minutes. I am a believer in the HIT technology and have been wearing it for a couple of years now. I would say Mustang all the way. Bass Pro is $234 but they run them on sale for $199 and their spring fishing sale is coming up soon.

I wore an Onyx 24 a/m last season and was quite happy with it however it needs to be babied and kept out of the humidity and rain. I bought the Mustang inflatable with HIT this winter. I did some research and found that hydrostatic inflators will go off with 4" of water pressure and they tend to deploy a second or two sooner than the bobbin type. Buy a name brand, and for God's sake don't try and save money and buy a manual inflation only. They will do absolutely nothing if you go in the water unconscious.

Onyx. Its light and comfortable.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

13. Member
    Replaced my Mustang with an Onyx 24 A/M. Comfortable to wear and easy to get on and off. Can also be adjusted to make it auto deflate with immersion or auto, nice for canoeing. Bought it 1 month ago on Amazon for $107, regular price is $189.

I'm looking at either a mustang or onyx..

15. Member
    I have the BPS auto inflatable and switching to mustang. Trust the technology more but also BPS has velcrow around it which tears up nice jerseys or dri drift type shirts.

Thanks for all the responses. I decided to purchase a mustang elite 28 inflatable.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kmac4685 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. I decided to purchase a mustang elite 28 inflatable.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S