Thread: Tach off

Tach off

So I had my engine into Steve Wright to get worked on. He noted that my tach was off. (1999 Johnson 200). It has the system check lights. Is it worth tinkering with or just replace with a new faria or what's the best course of action?

Ryan

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Where is he hanging his hat now a days? Faria makes a system check tach too. How far off is it? Make sure you go back with a system check tach what ever brand you go with. Tell Steve we said hey.

3. Member
    He is over at Bowden Marine now. Thanks for the recommendation by the way, he did a great job! I need to talk with him about the tach but he wasn't in yesterday when I picked up the boat.

4. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    The last place I knew he was at was North Shore Marine. He used to post here all the time.

5. Member
    He told me to trim up when loading to reduce back pressure on the engine. Can you expand on that?

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Sure you have two ports on either side of the tell tale, by trimming up you remove the back pressure on the two exhaust ports. I ran a 2000 MY 200 and loved it. I've now went with a 2001 225 HO Johnson.

7. Member
    I don't understand. Sorry for being thick. Why does the angle of the motor reduce the back pressure on the exhaust ports? Everything's position is static to the engine and everything is tilting. Its not like that un-kinks something. What am I missing?

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Don't know how steep your ramps are down there, but sometimes, when loading onto the trailer the exhaust ports may be submerged making it tough to load due to motor stalling out. By trimming up you relieve the back pressure and the motor won't stall.

9. Member
    OHHHHHH that makes sense. Sorry. I never thought about that being underwater.