Question Beginning re-carpeting project, some minor issues.

Hey guys,

Recently picked up new carpet and all the materials I'll need for my 89 184 DC. The carpet is original so it is coming off pretty easily. However there's this metal band on the front deck that looks like it's riveted into the fiber glass that's over the carpet, holding it down. Has anybody done a replacement like this and taken that off? Pictures enclosed.

pics wont load up, but a drill bit that fits end of pop rivet hole, will drill them out.

3. Member
    Yep drill out the rivet heads and knock the rivet out to remove trim....i put all my trim back on with screws.
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

Wow didn't even need the pictures. You guys are awesome.

So just replace the piece with some screws that are a little larger than the holes?

Don't use screws...use rivets and make it look factory, When your screws won't bite in the fiberglass or pull out, what do you do then use bigger screws. Proper size drill bit and proper size replacement rivets is the best way to do the job right! If screws were better in this application they would of used them at the factory.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

Use rivets. I did my gambler last spring and it has trim with rivets. Screws will strip or back out unless you use a glue or chalk.

7. Member
    I used stainless steel screws....My son has an 1986 176 and his trim pieces are screwed on from factory...
    Bruce Phillips
    1995 190 DC champion ......1995 200 xri merc

8. Member
    I thought someone said before that the carpet just went to the edge of the trim band and to not remove it?? Although I understand the concept of having a trim piece. Might of been a half a** way.
    Last edited by jkainoa; 02-12-2017 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce2 View Post
    I used stainless steel screws....My son has an 1986 176 and his trim pieces are screwed on from factory...
    If they used screws at the factory on the aluminum trim I've never seen it, @ the factory they drilled the hole and used a rivet, that is why the rivets are in a random type installation and were put where they needed to make the trim flush....although if your son's has factory screws it could of been someone's first day and they winged it, had no rivets or some other reason...who knows.
    1998 202 DC / Mercury 300R

10. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Do remove that aluminum trim (jkainoa, the carpet does go under it!) and be careful not to bend or crimp it so you can reuse it! I wish they had continued to use that classy trim in the last year or so at Mtn Home and all of the M'boro era. IMHO, it is far nicer than the black vinyl used in later model years.

11. Member
    Do remove that aluminum trim (jkainoa, the carpet does go under it!)
    Thanks Lea. I figured it had too! I may tackle this job in the next couple of years but my carpet is still in great shape even after 16 years!

12. Member
    Biggest trick is getting the drill bit size correct - you don't want to round out or open up the holes in the fiberglass, otherwise you might have to go up a size in the rivets, and the rivet head size will be different. Some of the holes may not be all the way through, I found several that weren't all the way through because the glass on the back side was thick for one reason or another. Those are tricky too. If even one requires a size up on the rivets, they you have to consider if you are upsizing all of them to keep the heads the same. Also a good time to polish out the trim. The raw material must be available somewhere, Legend still uses aluminum trim and still looks great on new boats.
    Kevin | 2000 Champion 19​1 | 2000 Yamaha OX66 200hp