Thread: LIFT ASSIST

LIFT ASSIST

SINCE THE LIFT ASSIST JACKS ARE (ONE) COMPRESSION, IT SEEMS TO ME WHEN YOU DEPLOY THE MOTR IT HAS THE PISTION PUSHING THE MOTOR INTO THE WATER WHEN YOU GET READY TO PULL THE MOTOR OUT YOU ARE PULLING AGAINST THE COMPRESSION AND MAKES IT HARDER TO PULL, WHEN THE MOTOR IS BEGING STOWED AND IT REACHES THE 90 DEGREE SPOT IT HAS A SLAM DOWN INTO THE STOW POSION ,SEEMS TO ME WE ARE ALWAYS PULLING AGAINST THE COMPRESSION OF THE JACK, INSTEAD OF THE JACK HELPING TO DEPLOY THE MOTOR AND STOW THE MOTOR IT IS WORKING AGAINST THE COMPRESSION, NO MATTER HOW YOU TURN YOUR CYLINDERS UP OR DOWN( I KNOW THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO GO DOWN) ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA ON THIS SINCE SOME OF US HAVE ALREADY PUT THE JACKS ON???COULD THE JACKS BE POSITION WITH ONE OF THE CYCLINDER DOWN AND ONE UP??
    Last edited by Ranger 188; 02-11-2017 at 08:51 AM. Reason: CORRECTION

Normal gas struts are at "relaxed" state when fully extended - which should be when the two shock mounting points and the motor pivot point are all inline. From that position to the stow or deploy positions, the struts are being compressed until the motor locks in either stowed or deployed position. Once you pull the release cable, the motor should want to rise as the shocks extend.
    You really need to post a picture of what you have going on.

The gas strut should be mounted so it is fully extended when the motor is stowed and compressed when the motor is deployed. When deploying the motor, once the support arm goes over center, the weight of the motor compresses the cylinder. Therefore when the motor is deployed, the gas struts are holding pressure on the locking pins. When you release the locking pins to raise the motor, the pressure in the struts push up and offset the weight of the motor. As for mounting, it is recommended that the rod end be down, because there is a small amount of oil in the head of the cylinder intended to lubricate the rod and seal.
    This is the way I mounted the ones on my MInn Kota Maxxum 70:

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

THIS IS MINE

CAN SOMEONE REMOVE THE UPPER POST AND PIC ^^^^^

6. Member
    Thanks for the help Bill

This is a link to another post where I gave detailed instructions for how I located the studs and mounted the struts. PM me if you need help.
    http://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=776700&page=3

8. Member
    Love the white truck and boat.
    2015 Xpress X19/ Yamaha VMAX 175 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by wishiwasfishin2 View Post
    Love the white truck and boat.
    Thanks, I have always had white boats and trucks but these are my favorite.

Jeff asked about the distance the gas strut stuck out from the side of the mount so I took a couple pictures. Hope this answers the question.

Thanks Bill!
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments