Front Boat Stop not in contact without winching

Added two 10 foot Talons to my Triton. Now when I unhook the winch strap the bow rises about a 1/2 inch off the bow stop. Should I try an adjust the bow stop somehow or am I worrying about nothing? I am not worried about boat coming off the trailer as I do not unhook until the boat is down the ramp; worried about possible extra stress on the Bow Hook and Winch.
    Last edited by Maine-Basser; 02-10-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    2019 Mercury 250L Pro XS TM
    SER# 2B575047

Sounds like your boat is not far enough up on the trailer if the additional weight of the Talons is throwing the balance off. Are you running the boat all the way up to the bow stop when you load? If so, you might need to move the winch forward a few inches.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

Agree with the previous post. Check to be sure that 10 to 15% of the total weight of your rig is on the hitch ball. If not, move the winch back.

4. Member
    Are the power poles keeping you from pulling as far forward as you had been?

My nitro is like this. I clearly have 10-15 % on the tongue. It was like this from day one. If it wasn't from day one I'd assume I bent the trailer. I bet you just hadn't noticed it sooner. Mine does it a bit less if I loosen the transom ratchets.

6. Member
    Bow eye is all the way to the bow stop (which is a roller type, not a V type). When the boat is on the trailer there is about 1.5 inches of bunk board past the stern of the boat. Bow raises up 1/2 inch when I do not have the transom straps on. Between the talons and 3 AGM batteries I bet I have added about 300+ pounds to the back of the boat.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

If there is 1 1/2 inches of bunk showing past the transom of the boat, how can the bow lift up? Are you sure that the problem is not with the bunks on the trailer?
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

8. Member
    IF you can, raise the bow stop or move the winch stand back a little to meet the boat. It sounds like the winch is actually pulling down the bow. I'd bet when it's tight, you have space between your transom and the bunk boards.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hahn View Post
    If there is 1 1/2 inches of bunk showing past the transom of the boat, how can the bow lift up? Are you sure that the problem is not with the bunks on the trailer?
    The bow can lift up if it was pulled down by the winch lifting the transom at the same time like a seesaw. Or even worse, the bow fiberglass is flexing down when winched.

Actually, can you take a side picture of the relationship between the bow eye and roller when winched down and unhooked? That would tell exactly what to do.

10. Member
    I load my boat until it contacts the bow stop when I pull out the bow always raises off the stop. I don't worry about it because the weight of the boat is on the bunks. I also loosen the winch strap when I get home to take pressure off.

11. Member
    Half inch? That's about this ........ far. That could be boat flex, but I doubt it, ratchet rise, trailer flex, bunk support flex or a combination of the above. It's supposed to be against the roller under pressure. I'm not sure I'd worry about it.

12. Member
    For me, your situation would be a non item.
    If it causes you heartburn, you could shim your bunks at the back which would effectively lower the bow.
    2007 Skeeter 21i 300HDPI

13. Member
    Thanks for the replies. I think it is a non-issue as well, but I wanted to make sure. It does not require a lot of effort to load the boat and winch it. Not sure if it was always this way, but I didn't notice it until I added the Talons and AGM batteries. Tried attaching pictures, but receiving an error. Only 35k in size (each) too? I can say, hooked or unhooked the length of all boards (4 of them) are in contact with the boat.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

14. Member
    If this has only happened since you mounted the talons it means your your boat is sawsawing on the bunks, and never fit properly on your trailer bunks to begin with. I would start by loosening the brackets in the center of the bunks with the boat on the trailer so that the weight of the boat lets them fall in to place and contour to the hull.
    If you're going to be dumb, you've got to be tough!

15. Member
    No can do. There are no adjustments that can be made on brackets, as there are no brackets. The "brackets are "L" shaped steel welded directly to the trailer frame with two holes in each for the lag screws. Custom Triton Trailer for Triton 19XS. The only adjustment I can make is raise / move forward the bow stop assembly.
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

16. Member

Image showing gap

Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve Bailey
    2019 Ranger Z520C
    SER# 2B575047

17. Member
    Still looks to me that your boat is not going far enough forward on your trailer but for what reason I don't know. If it cranks down EASILY to the roller it doesn't look like a problem to me.