Here is the bow gps device list...
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezfishn View Post
    So, when you select the Helix 10si external you still don't have a heading line option?
    Nope, as you can see in the above picture, I have the external antenna selected, but no option for the heading line.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

3. Member
    Thanks for showing that. I was under impression if you can select the external then you would have the capability.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

4. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I was told when you switch to the HS GPS you will have to RESTART the units for the changes to be picked up.
    After you select the HS GPS on the connected unit, shut down, start the connected unit, wait about a minute or two then boot the other & see what results you get.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sfw1960 View Post
    I was told when you switch to the HS GPS you will have to RESTART the units for the changes to be picked up.
    After you select the HS GPS on the connected unit, shut down, start the connected unit, wait about a minute or two then boot the other & see what results you get.
    Ok, I tried that again. Started the console unit, let it run for 10 minutes. It is showing the heading line fine. Started the bow unit. It took about 2 minutes to show that the ext antenna had gps fix. After it did, I went back into settings and still no heading line option.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

6. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    What do you have selected in the network settings for the GPS source?
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI
    Helix12MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MSI G2N v1.84/Helix10MDI G2N v1.84/ASGPSHSx2/iPilotLinkv2.15/2.04RC-1+2/

7. Member
    The external antenna. That is shown on the picture I posted on the first post on the second page of this thread.

I have the external antenna selected for both bow and console.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

Quote Originally Posted by MIZ-ZOU View Post
    The external antenna. That is shown on the picture I posted on the first post on the second page of this thread.

I have the external antenna selected for both bow and console.
    I just checked one of my setups with the AS GPS HS connected to one of my 1198's. Turned on the Heading Line in the Navigation menu after I got a satellite lock. Then went to the Helix 12 Ethernet menu and selected the 1198 as the GPS source. Then went to the Navigation menu and turned on the Heading Line. Both displayed the Heading Line and no Course Projection Line since I was in my garage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

9. Member
    Well, that stinks. I guess it won't work with 2 helix 10s. I have the external antenna selected on both, restarted several times, have a gps lock on both, and only have a heading line and heading option on the console unit. The bow unit shows the external antenna, but never gives the heading option.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

Better give customer service a call and see if it's a known issue.
    __________________________________________________ ___

**Looking for the one that makes it all worthwhile**
    __________________________________________________ ___

Units ..... 1197 (6.310) ...1198 (6.490) ... Helix 12 MSI G3N

11. Bringer Of The 'Bird sfw1960's Avatar
    I have 2 externals, so it was worth asking....

Yep - call C/S.
    Robert
    Newaygo CTY, MI

12. Member
    I'll give them a call Monday. Thanks, guys.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

13. Member
    Here is a video that was recommended for me, to help with heading sensor setup ( I believe the video is from James aka fishfood). No sure if this could help you or not.

14. Member
    Got it. I contacted Humminbird customer service this morning and they talked me through a procedure of unplugging, resetting, plugging back in, and starting back up different devices and I now have the heading line on my bow unit! Thanks Humminbird customer service!
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

15. Member
    Good to know it was procedural problem and not a bug...LOL Thanks for posting the outcome
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow

16. Member
    She (CS Tech) said that it was probably something to do with the way that Phoenix installers wired the units and then powered them up, maybe adding the ethernet cable after the settings had been made. I had tried a reset several times on both units, but I had to: change the settings, unplug the ethernet cable while it was still powered up, do a reset on the unit, then power down and plug everything back together and start it back up. When it came up, the heading option was there.

On the plus side, the CS tech is also looking into some other questions that I asked and took my email to get back to me after she investigated. I have to say, after 20+ years with Lowrance, that was the best CS experience that I have ever had with my marine electronics. That makes me way more comfortable with my decision to change. Not that Lowrance electronics are inferior but, when you do have a problem, it is sometimes hard to get it resolved with them without paying for a major upgrade.

Thanks again for all of the help from everyone on this board!! You guys are awesome.
    2021 Phoenix 721
    Merc 250 ProXS 4S
    Lowrance Live 12/9/Ghost
    Garmin 1222 w/Livescope
    Ionic 3x50 AH Lithium

17. Member
    Great to see they got you squared away and you had a great experience with CS!

Ranger z520 // Mercury 250 Pro XS
    12ft BT Talons/112 Ultrex/Hbird 360

18. Member
    Not meaning to hijack your thread, but it brings up a question I have since I am interested in a very similar if not identical setup for my boat...
    It seems that with this setup you can pretty accurately mark a waypoint while at the console, then spin around and cast to your target when up on the trolling motor. But let's say you need to fish the spot vertically...Will you not miss it by the length of your boat since your bow unit is displaying the GPS position from the transom?

Quote Originally Posted by LTown_bass View Post
    Not meaning to hijack your thread, but it brings up a question I have since I am interested in a very similar if not identical setup for my boat...
    It seems that with this setup you can pretty accurately mark a waypoint while at the console, then spin around and cast to your target when up on the trolling motor. But let's say you need to fish the spot vertically...Will you not miss it by the length of your boat since your bow unit is displaying the GPS position from the transom?
    Yes, you are correct if sharing a transom GPS antenna to the bow unit.

Read post #6
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    Yes, you are correct if sharing a transom GPS antenna to the bow unit.

Read post #6
    Got it...in that case it seems to me that it would be better to have the HS puck at the bow and just use internal GPS at the console, since you are usually moving while at the wheel anyhow. I guess you would still be off by the 6 or 8 feet between the console unit and transducer, but better than 20 or 21 in the vertical fishing example. I guess the ideal setup would involve 2 HS pucks?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast