Pray for the Family

Yesterday, Misty and I took a trip up the Eastern Shore of Virginia. We had to cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, 21 miles of bridge and tunnel across more or less open ocean and Chesapeake Bay. There were high winds blowing and the facility had been closed earlier in the day, but by the time we got there, the winds had dropped but were still gusting to 40 or more MPH.

We were almost across when I noticed a commotion on the southbound side (we were going north). It was obvious that there had been an accident with the police cars and all stopped. A couple of helicopters were orbiting the area. Then I noticed that a section of the guard rail was missing. OH MY...someone has gone into the water! That water is COLD as well as rough and deep.

I learned later that a tractor trailer had been blown off the bridge. The driver had been picked off the floating trailer by a Navy helicopter crew, but had died on the way to the hospital.

That really hit me hard for some reason and I don't know why. It still bothers me obviously. I had to share this with someone. I didn't know the man, but I couldn't imagine the terror he must have felt when he realized he was going over. The cold water, then soaking wet, crawling up onto a floating trailer. The cold wind, the wet clothes. I thank God, I didn't see it happen. I can't imagine how it would feel to see it, and not be able to do anything to help.

I just pray that he was saved. I pray for his family. May the Lord grant them the peace that surpasses all understanding.

2. Member
    Physically: Illinois Mentally: Anywhere but Illinois
    Thanks for sharing this. I know it may sound weird for saying thanks, but it really puts things in perspective. Life is precious. I'm sitting here with my Father and sister at the hospital waiting for my Mom to get out of surgery from getting her port put in so she can start chemo/immunotherapy in 2 weeks. It's amazing how God can work in such mysterious ways. My Father has been able to witness to people and share the word of God while waiting and in and out of the hospital with my Mom. I pray that man was saved who suffered this horrific tragedy and if not, maybe God will work through this somehow and show his love to others involved. God bless BBC!

3. Member
    Prayers for his family and for yours that the Lord will use the emotions which rose for His glory. I also would pray for the first responders and service members who deal with this type of tragedy more than normal folks can imagine.

Prayers to the drivers family.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

5. Member

"If People Concentrated on the Really Important Things in Life, There'd be a Shortage of Fishing Poles." - Doug Larson
    "Peace is not the absence of turmoil but the presence of God" Jo-Ann Thomack

7. Member
    All sheep are eventually led to slaughter