Thread: Oil Alarm

Oil Alarm

I recently bought a used bass boat with a 2003 Mercury 200hp EFi. Serial number OT773879. While installing a fish find I discovered that the alarm had been unpluged. I pluged it back in and received a low oil alarm 4 beeps about a minute after leaving the key on. I checked the tank under the hood and it was down 2 inches. I filled it back up and I no longer get the alarm. I contacted the previous owner (who had failed to tell me about this and said he didn't unplug the alarm) and he said he had on occasion put oil in that reservoir. So there is repeated oil issue. What could be the causes of the reservoir tank not stay full?

2. Member
    check screen on pick up in boat res FIRST for gel make sure all caps on tank is tight no holes in hoses or air leaks
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    I just checked the pickup and the screen is perfect. The hoses are plyable and the caps are tight. There isn't any sign of an oil leak.

4. Member
    check valve on side of block pos defective[ below starter]
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Is that the oil pump? The line from the res. tank goes into it?
    Last edited by riffminer; 02-10-2017 at 09:51 AM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, that is a pressure check valve, which pressurizes the REMOTE tank, and pushes oil to the engine tank (pressurized system).

You will also need to properly BLEED the air from the system- see the below link:

Bleeding air from the Engine Mounted Oil Tank

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thank you. Is that to represserize the resevoir tank.?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    No, that is to remove any air in the oil line between the REMOTE (boat) tank and the engine tank (also to bleed any remaining AIR in the engine-mounted tank, which should be 100% full with no air present).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Ok I got it. Thanks so much for your help
    Last edited by riffminer; 02-11-2017 at 09:09 AM.

10. Member
    Just an update. I followed Don's post for "bleeding air from the engine mounted oil tank"and it filled right up like it should have. Thank you Don. I'll just have to keep an eye on it to see that it remains full.

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar