High Temp. Alarm

1999 200 Optimax (Ser. #0G886121) -

Been fishing an area that requires extensive idling due to high water. Noticed that when I'm idling for more than say 15 - 20 minutes, I'll get a continuous alarm followed by the high temp light coming on. I can shut the motor off and turn it back on, and the alarm will go away for about 1 minute before returning. No issues when getting on plane and running. The water pump was replaced less than 6 months ago, and my water pressure when idling is around 2.5 psi (WOT is 21 psi). The pee stream appears strong.

I cleaned the strainer, and back flushed the system, but that didn't resolve. I haven't checked the thermostats yet. They were replaced about 3 years ago, so not real old. One thing I noticed though, is that when I was running the motor on the muffs, my #1 and #3 cylinders were running about 20 - 25 degrees hotter than the others. I bought an IR gun from Harbor Freight, so know it's not perfectly accurate, but those cylinders were reading a consistent 170 - 185 degrees, while the others were in the 130 - 160 range. This temp reading was taken on the cylinder block, just behind where each spark plug is threaded in. Any ideas on what I may have going on? I'm really wondering if it's had this problem for a while, and I've never noticed it since I'm usually not idling for this amount of time???

Thanks in advance for the suggestions, ya'll. Appreciate it.

Since you have the IR temp gun, check the thermostat housings as it’s warming up. Should be able to tell if they are cycling.
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ALWAYS start AT THE SOURCE: The Water Pump. Could be something as simple as a split gasket, bad seal, gear lube leaking into pump, or even one vane folded the wrong way for some reason.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    Appreciate it. I'll double check the pump and see if I see anything out of whack. I did see the thermostats cycle, so believe they're ok. Any ideas on why the #1 and #3 cylinders would be running hotter than the others? Do those typically run hotter for some reason?

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    That would be because there is no accurate measurement location (externally) on the cylinder head from which to achieve a consistently accurate temp.

Center of the thermostat cover is the "spot". Anywhere else (external) is subject to very erratic readings.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor