New motor tilt trim issues HELP PLEASE!!!

Double posted in the tin section and regular merc section but freaked out...
    So I bought a new 2016 (left over) 17tx with mercury 75 hp fourstroke about 2 weeks ago. It's cold here so not much chance of taking the boat out but this past week I took off the transom saver to charge the battery's and just to mess with it. I noticed after about 30 minutes from a fairly tilted down position the motor motor had went down and touched the garage floor on its own. Over the past 2 days I have messed with it more running it up and down about a dozen times. From the fully tilted up position in about 5 hours it is touching the garage floor tilted down on its own! Is there something I'm missing here this is my first bass boat but I know this is not normal. I checked the fluid and it is full. Dealer is like 4 hours away I am going to contact them tomorrow just want your thoughts. No leaks noticed really stressing me out. If it's an factory defect can I take it to a local mercury repair or will they make me drive it all the way back there?.

2. Member
    No it's not normal you may have a internal seal leak call dealer and see what they say about going to closer merc dealer I'm sure it's ok.

3. Member
    I have a 75hp and the trim seemed like it would not hold towards the end of last year. Did you lock your motor in the up position when you checked the fluid. Since I have also been looking at mine I think there may be a newer version of the yellow reservoir plug #8134351 that looks like it would be easier to tighten up. I think I might get one online.

4. Member
    There's a bypass screw on the starboard side that you can loosen to raise or lower the motor if the trim system fails. Check this screw to see if it's tight. You could also manually raise and lower the motor a couple times with this screw backed out. This would circulate the fluid through the bypass and flush any debris from the valve seat.

It could be air in the system too.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Please see the Forum Announcements, and be sure to provide the REQUIRED info when posting. Thanks!

This is something that your local Authorized Mercury Dealer should address for you.

Checking the fluid level, and making sure the Manual Relief Valve (screw) is snug are the two items you may be able to look at on your own.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks sorry moderator I did those two things guess I will just have to take it in :/

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkosiggy View Post
    Thanks sorry moderator I did those two things guess I will just have to take it in :/
    Best course of action on a brand new engine - have the dealer make it right.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Good choice.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Did you take your motor in? What was wrong ? My2015 115hp is doing the same thing. Want to have a guess what's wrong when I take it in next week.

11. Member
    Yes entire tilt trim was replaced under warranty with a new unit. The new unit is a different design from the original, not sure if they had problems. The service guy said their was a crack in the back of the unit even though I never saw any fluid leak. All works well now. Good luck.

12. Member
    BTW I took it took a mercury service center less than 10 minutes from my house and didn't have to drive 4 hours to the original dealer. They did a great job dropped it off on a Saturday and had it back by Thursday and they even had to order the part. Boat masters in new franklin ohio very friendly and fast would recommend to anyone in my area.

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SilverFox579 View Post
    Best course of action on a brand new engine - have the dealer make it right.
    yup. With a brand new motor I would not waste my time trying to figure this out on my own. Take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it.
    Bruce
    2019 20 TRX Patriot
    Mercury 250 ProXS Fourstroke
    HDS 12 Live - Console
    HDS 9 Live - Bow

15. Member
    Yeah I was just replying to Crawforddog I should not have even bothered posting I was freaking at the time that I'd have to make another 8 hr round trip. All worked out.

Had the same issue on my 115 4 stroke. But after raising the motor, loosening the manual screw, allowing the motor to come down on its own and retightening the screw (several times) that issue has not reappeared.
    2018 Skeeter MX1825 w/175 Yamaha 4-Stroke
    80# MK Ultrex w/ I-Pilot
    HB Helix 10 SI Mega, HB Helix 9 SI, Helix 9, Garmin 106SV
    USAF Ret