mold/mildew on rods in rod locker

Does anyone have any issues/problems with mold/mildew accumulating on rods in rod box. I am having this issue. My boat stays in a garage. Maybe water is getting in after hard rains on the lake. Is there anything you can store inside rod box to suck moisture out?

2. Member
    I leave the locker lid open in the garage and no problem.
    Joefish
    2007 Ranger 178DVS
    Evinrude ETEC 150

<*)}}}><

Kitty liter !! I have some 12"x12" cheese cloth bags I put it in and then just toss them in the lockers when the boat is in the garage. Also, if I fished in the rain, I open the lids, turn the locks then lay the lids back down. If it's real wet, I use a wet vac. But kitty liter and air flow will stop the mold. You may have to empty the lockers and dry out and spray with Lysol to get started.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

4. Member
    Do a search on an RV site pertaining to mold and mildew there is alot of products including dehumidifiers.
    Rocket

Open lids after each use, and place small fans to get air circulating. You can get cheap clip-on fans at Walmart or Target. Some kind of desiccant helps too, as mentioned above.

This is what I do.... 1 or two hours after cleaning Push all the humidity out...

Quote Originally Posted by joefish View Post
    I leave the locker lid open in the garage and no problem.
    with box fan blowing thru the boxes...

8. Member
    Setting up fans seems to be a lot of work when simply opening the hatches when you back the boat in the garage will do the trick. Mine stay open 100% of the time unless it is hooked up to my truck or in the water. Every hatch, every time.

9. Member
    I place a bag of activated charcoal in each compartment and prop the lids up on the net so air flow gets through them.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    1998 203 DCX Elite w/ 250 EFI Merc

10. Member
    Best thing i have done here in southern texas was to buy a dehumidifier at lowes and a cheap fan. hang the fan on the wall blowing across top of boat/opened compartments. Set the Dehumidifer to AUTO and lock up garage...24/36 hrs later all will be dry even if soaked when backed in. I wash boat/flood carpet and not worry about the carpet drying in closed up garage. Be sure if you purchase dehumidifier spend extra $$ and buy the one with self pump out. You will be surprised at how fast one will fill up and cut off without auto pump out. If you have the auto pump out it will maintain the humidity level setting you selected and cycle as needed keeping your garage nice and dry. Good luck