Banned

stupid newbie question

hey everyone just bought a new to me 1999 triton tr 21 with a 225 optimax. my old bought was an old carbed evenrude. im just wondering what should be my starting procedure. I figure make sure all tiedowns are off the make sure plug is in. pump fuel line till firm. then when I get in the water all I should have to do is turn the key. how long should these motors be warmed up before you run them.

I do not have an Opti but as an aircraft mechanic I would say to check the oil first and always warm it up for a minute or two to get the rings and the valve train lubricated. That's what I think is required for any motor.

Just $0.02 from an old fat guy!

Enjoy the new boat and be safe.
    Last edited by XpressJeff; 02-09-2017 at 07:09 PM.
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

3. Member
    Do you have smart craft gauges? Or at least a water temp (in engine block of course) gauge? Before you run WOT, the opti needs to be at about 120 degrees F. The internal tolerances are EXTREMELY tight between the aluminum piston and the steel cylinder liner. If you don't warm it up properly, the piston will expand before the liner and you will get what is called a "cold seize" which will pretty effectively destroy the power head. If you don't have a temp gauge, let it warm up at least a couple of mins at idle, then take off but do not go WOT for at least a couple of minutes to get the motor warmed up. If you run in very cold water (30-50 degrees) you will want to stretch that time a bit further.

Other than that, you are good to go. Do NOT use the throttle-only button to rev the motor up. It is controlled by a computer. If it doesn't crank after turning over 3-4 times, it isn't going to crank.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200

You can change your signature now!
    2017 Crestliner VT 18 DX
    Mercury 115 ProXS
    Motorguide X3 70lb 24V
    TP Express Mach 4 13 x 19
    "Follow Me," Jesus told them, "and I will make you fish for people!" Mark 1:17

5. Member
    Their are no stupid questions everyone has asked a question because they didn't know for sure.

If that motor is a 99 it's a 1st generation Optimax and they were known to seize number 6 if not warmed up. Especially in cold weather/water. If you have a temp gauge, wait until 120-130 before even going on plane. If you don't have one, get one !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents