2001 Mercury 175 EFI

Considering repowering with a 2001 Merc 175. How reliable are they and how many years should I expect for it to have left in it if its well taken care of? Motor is in good shape with average hours.

2. Member
    i owned a 2000 175 efi for about 7 years.(purchased 2005,sold 2012)the first 5 years no problems,the last 2 years it nickeled and dimed me to death.they are very strong engines that like fuel.most of the problems i had were intermittent electrical problems.also had problems with the oil injection,finally removed and started pre mixing the oil.i found out that most of the merc service techs did not like working on the efi engines because their diagnostics equipment would not hook up to a 2000 model engine.(i think you have to have a 2003 model or newer)so most of the time you were just changing out parts hoping that would fix your problem.the only reason i would not buy another efi engine is because no one in my area knows anything about them.if i lived in Florence i would probably own another efi engine because you are not far from mr.don weed.get to know him if you buy the efi engine.he has helped me a million times.he is located in Greenville sc.there is one other thing you need to do if you buy the efi engine,make sure you have the fuel rails,injectors,cleaned and calibrated.don can do this.thanks,good luck and good fishing
    "keep your blood thin,you will live longer"

I have a 98 Mercury 175EFI. I've had it for about 3 years. It does suck gas. It runs strong. Pretty reliable. Its on a 99 Champion 187 Elite.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

4. Member
    I know of many in my area that are running strong and trouble free today/ dothe mant and should make you a good engine JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    Thanks for the info

Quote Originally Posted by wentbroketryingtogopro View Post
    i owned a 2000 175 efi for about 7 years.(purchased 2005,sold 2012)the first 5 years no problems,the last 2 years it nickeled and dimed me to death.they are very strong engines that like fuel.most of the problems i had were intermittent electrical problems.also had problems with the oil injection,finally removed and started pre mixing the oil.i found out that most of the merc service techs did not like working on the efi engines because their diagnostics equipment would not hook up to a 2000 model engine.(i think you have to have a 2003 model or newer)so most of the time you were just changing out parts hoping that would fix your problem.the only reason i would not buy another efi engine is because no one in my area knows anything about them.if i lived in Florence i would probably own another efi engine because you are not far from mr.don weed.get to know him if you buy the efi engine.he has helped me a million times.he is located in Greenville sc.there is one other thing you need to do if you buy the efi engine,make sure you have the fuel rails,injectors,cleaned and calibrated.don can do this.thanks,good luck and good fishing

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Built on the tried-and-true 2.5L Platform, very reliable engines.

As with anything used, have it checked out:

Checkout Recommendations for a Used Engine

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Airborne/Infantry bassnman81's Avatar
    My 2000 EFI was fished twice a week for 48-52 weeks a year for 15 years till it blew. One can only guess how many hours were on it. Did have to repair the ECU (Simon Motorsports) replace the voltage regulators and the tuner broke away. . It was a solid engine, the only thing is the fuel and oil consumption, terrible. Replaced it with a Pro-XS which is like getting a pay raise, it sips fuel and oil. Get it checked out by a good tech.

Lake Norman, N.C./New Britain, CT.
    An Khe 66-67