Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    So even though it's not recommended to run a tm2 on an engine that came equipped with a tm1, what would be benefit of running the tm2 be? Way too many faces going on.
    02' 2100SC-250xB-Dual 12' Talons

Quote Originally Posted by 1 More Cast View Post
    Just had my torquemaster gen 1 go out on me. The dealer mentioned that a verado gearcase would be a more reliable and cost effective replacement than another torquemaster. My boat is a 2100 and I have run it to 80+. I am concerned about the verado case blowing out at speed. I think I already know the answer is probably no, but I want to hear some feedback.
    I would suggest giving Jaco's Marine a call to get a price on the lower unit you want. Jaco's Marine is in Tennessee not to far from where you are at in Alabama. If Don wasn't so far away you could get a price from him.
    Gambler 2200/250 Pro XS

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BpTelli View Post
    So even though it's not recommended to run a tm2 on an engine that came equipped with a tm1, what would be benefit of running the tm2 be? Way too many faces going on.
    It's simply not recommended due to potential safety problems. Any benefit would be outweighed by the risks involved.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Ok.. now i am curious....could you run a GEN1, on an engine that came with a Gen2???? Lets say in a situation where you needed a lower for a few weeks....and i am real curious as to what those safety issues might be....
    LD

its something about the pressure relief valve on the new style motors has a different setting???
    i think don will tell you that it IS ok to run a GEN 1 on something that came wtih the GEN2...
    appearantly the extra lift from the gen2's design requires a lower relief system???
    i'm no expert but have already been through this challenge...
    Sterling 22XS / Mercury Pro XS V8

Even though it's not recommended we've swapped a couple out and they run fine...TM2 on a Stratos and one on a Triton. I'm not sayin it's ok to do it, or how long they'll run without problems. I just did the wrench work...
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Other than potential problems with warranty- there is no real concern with installing a Gen-1 gearcase.

DO NOT install a Gen-2 onto an engine that was not originally equipped with that gearcase. While the engine will run and perform fine- there are Safety Concerns that dictate it NOT be done (specifically related to what would occur if you were to collide with or contact with an underwater object).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12