Likes/dislikes???

You guys or gals that have the echoMAP 73 SV chirp units, what do you like about them and what do you dislike about them? I'm highly considering pulling the trigger on one for my small flat bottom boat. I don't really need the bigger screen sizes 9" model as I'm afraid it could get broke easily. I like the fact that I could add the panoptix transducer whenever I'm ready too. Are y'all happy you purchased this unit?

2. Member
    Before you purchase compare the pricing on the 93sv. IMO it's worth the difference. I have the 93sv. With it I can use the left 2 inches for 2d and still have 7 inches for Panoptix. I don't think that doing the same on the 73sv would be as good. I generally have the range on Panoptix set to 100 ft. If I was restricted to a 7 inch screen you can use Panoptix effectively but I think you would need to dial the range back some. I think you will be well pleased with the SideVu and ClearVu. The 7 inch screen on the Striker 7sv with SideVu and DownVu/ClearVu actually seems to show a more crisp display. I think that's comparable to what you would see on the echomap 73sv. What you get better from Garmin is better chirp. I don't think that anybody fully matches Humminbird on side imaging especially when the person using it knows how to do the fine tuning. I wouldn't trade the Panoptix option for anything that anybody else has.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

3. Member
    Lwinchester2, I appreciate your reply... I may get the 9 inch later on once I figure out if I'm going to like the Garmin's system. I can have the 9 up front with panoptix and the 7 by the big motor for GPS and the other stuff. This is pretty much a trial and error thing... I have heard several times that the side scan isn't as good as humminbirds but I wasn't to impressed with anything on my 1198. I pulled the trigger already on the garmin (couldn't help it, money was burning a hole in that account). I will hopefully get to install it and start playing with it sometime next week as my job is ending. As far as Panoptix, well that will just have to wait a little while.

4. Member
    I wouldn't wait any longer than I had to. It sure puts a lot of fun back into fishing. Yesterday I pulled up on a tree that has been really good for crappie. Saw nothing. Got nothing. Spun the Panoptix around and there they were out in the middle of the lake just meandering around. Hit the trolling motor. Moved over to within 40 ft of them and cast to them. Sure made for a good fishing trip.
    My wife asks if I'm going to fish every day. I can't fish every day. Some days I might be sick.

5. Member
    That's awesome stuff!!! I'm so ready to do some fishing. Haven't really got to go in the past two years do to work.