Thread: Map card

Jamie Watson

Map card

What are the adavantages of having a map card in my echomap Pics of the differences would be awesome.
    Which one do I need for the tn lakes?

THANKS

2. Member
    The premium chart cards cover - or dont cover - the same lakes that the built in maps cover. You dont get any new or extra lakes, so if a lake isnt covered on your built in chart, it wont be on the premium charts.

The exception to that might be if your built in charts are out of date.

You can see what you get extra on the premium charts by looking up your lake here:

www.lakes.garmin.com

On some lakes, but not all lakes, you get things like Satellite views, extra depth shading, auto routing, Fishing HotSpots, etc.

You do NOT get extra depth contour lines.
    Smokercraft Phantom 202 Yamaha F115/Merc 9.9
    Garmin 7610xsv/GT51M-TM/Panoptix PS21/LiveScope
    Why am I hanging out here when I could be fishing.....

3. Jamie Watson
    So is it really worth it for some hotspots and shading?

4. Member
    Depends upon the lakes (hd/max def) the most useful feature in on the ultra card is the dynamic lake level feature.
    This allows you to adjust the lake level (+/-) and the map will "shrink" or "expand" to match the current level. In effect it adjust the shore line to match with the current level.
    NOTE: Not to be used for navigational purposes!
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorjamiewatson View Post
    So is it really worth it for some hotspots and shading?
    There is more than that. Check out the link I posted for a full list. Those extras are well worth it to some people and not to others. I would never use any of them, so the premium cards have no interest for me. YMMV :)

6. Member
    OK, so if my lake is 10 feet down - the mapping will be adjusted to show only the contour lines 10 feet down and below? If I assign colors to various depths will the colors also be automatically adjusted to the new current level? Your note to not use for navigation - will the map not draw a new course if the lake level is adjusted?

The contour adjustment is IMHO the feature that may make this worth $200...

7. Member
    mcneal
    The map will adjust so the current shoreline will be 0 ft. The contour lines will be adjusted accordingly. Your colors will function based upon the depth you assigned them to from the current level.

The warning was an attempt a humor, as all map/card makers include it on their packaging. The nav features (safe route etc) should be based upon the current lake level.
    ><((((º>`·._ .·´¯><((((º>`·. _ .·´¯·. ><((((º>

8. Member
    One more question. If I had the lake vu card at the helm and a regular micro sad card at the bow and if I marked a way point will it still share to the other unit? Assuming the two have been properly wired/networked...

9. Member
    Yes. Waypoint sharing is independent of any mapping or sd cards.

You do realize that dynamic lake level is only available on certain lakes? Those premium features are not available on all lakes. You have to look up your specific lakes to see whats available for that lake. It may have none of them or only one or two or - maybe in a few cases - all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by mcneal View Post
    One more question. If I had the lake vu card at the helm and a regular micro sad card at the bow and if I marked a way point will it still share to the other unit? Assuming the two have been properly wired/networked...

10. Member
    Thanks for the insight. Yes, the two lakes I fish most are listed as being "maxdef". They are also COE lakes and are currently about 10 feet below full pool. I was on the lake one day when the Garmin mapping boat came by - it moved at a pretty good clip and it didn't make but one pass.