Synthetic Stucco - EIFS - options?

We are looking at a house that has EIFS (Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems). I've done some online research and am aware of the potential problems if it wasn't installed correctly allowing water to get behind it. We would obviously get a professional to properly inspect it separate from the traditional home inspection. But absent of anything found, we are concerned with the long term durability and potential resale.

To increase resale in this area it would be better to replace or cover with a more traditional covering in this area such as hardiboard, vinyl siding or brick. For those with construction or contractor experience, what is the best option for mitigating my concerns and would it be worthwhile changing the exterior, and if so, can I simply cover it or would I have to remove it? Thanks.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma
    2012 250 hp Mercury ProXS
    Family Boat - 2011 Key West 189FS w/ Yamaha F115TX
    Truck - 2005 GMC 3500 D/A SRW LB CC
    RV- 2012 RoadTrek 210 Simplicity (named E-Pod)

http://BassCat.com
    Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

2. Member
    You would have to remove the EFIS. You dont have the brick ledge for brick so your stuck with siding. Be sure all edges, windows, expansion joints are caulked properly. Be sure the bottom is painted so rain wont splash up. The bottom should have the concrete finish but most cheat on this step and leave the Styrofoam exposed.. I would use a urethane caulk over an acrylic caulk. Keep it painted, and I would use an elastomeric paint. Its made for EFIS and masonry.. Efis will hold up well with these steps

3. Member
    Thank you.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma

Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com

4. Member
    I would look at the roof/wall juncture. Is there kick-out flashing installed here? Are there dark streaks down the wall and around the windows? EIFS systems are great if installed and maintained properly. If not, they can be nightmares. Check to see if the caulking is performing as designed, or if it is cracked and releasing. Was it installed below the grade line, or above it.
    You are on the right path in inspecting and researching before you purchase. If all is in order, you should have no worries about future value, provided you maintain the integrity of the system.

Check the windows to make sure they aren't rotting if they are wood interior. A lot of window companies do not warrant their products when installed in EIFS.

6. Member
    Thanks. We passed on the house with EIFS.
    Richard Bates
    USCG Retired
    2010 Bass Cat Puma

Purefishing.com
    Denalirods.com