Puzzled on props for my rig

A brief background. I own a 2003 Stratos 201 Pro XL. The rig came with a 2003 Evinrude 225HO engine. Ran this set up for years with full tourney loads and 2 guys driving it all with a 28 pitch Raker 3 blade which was a little slow on hole shot but not terrible and it gave great top end speed. In 2011 I upgraded the engine to a 2010 Evinrude 250HO. Odd thing is the bigger motor can NOT push the boat out of the hole with the 28 Raker at all. Changed over to a 27 pitch Tempest 3 blade with the PVS holes but had to drill out the plugs from 12mm to 14mm to get out of the hole and it is very slow to do so. Then I get some blow out if I don't throttle back and trim up when the nose drops until i get up to speed but my top end speed is about the same as what the 225 achieved. Both motors have the lightning gearcases and I do have and use a hydraulic jack plate.
    Does someone know a better set up for overall performance that will still offer good top end speed for this combo? Ideas? Thanks!

2. Member
    How many rpm's did the 225 turn the 28 raker compared to the newer 250 HO turning the 27 tempest at WOT?

3. Member
    Both right around 6000 rpm at WOT and on plane, trimmed out. Top speed hanging around 74mph for both engines in that condition in cooler weather, in summer heat I lose/lost about 1mph top end from that. I just don't get how a bigger and newer engine is unable to give equal if not better performance.

4. Member
    Post over on the Evinrude board but I bet the gear ratio is different on those two lowers. I am thinking you have an L2 case on your 250 and had a L1 case on the 225. You need to try some different props to find what works best for you new setup.

5. Member
    That older 225 should have 1.86 gears and the newer 250 with the L2 case should have 1.71 gears if it's the original lower which is why it has trouble getting out of the hole with the 28 raker. Most of those were replaced with the M2 case after they failed. Both props show they need some work with the 27" tempest being the worst. If it is an L2 lower I'd find a known good 26" raker to test on it.