Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

G3 Sportsman 17 hp thoughts

Hi
    New to the forum. I've been looking at the G3 Sportsman 17 and was wondering about the best motor to get. Yamaha F70 or F90
    I know the ole saying "buy the max hp the boat is rated for" However in this case is it worth it or necessary to to add 110lbs to the boat to go up to the 90hp? With the batteries,fuel tank and motor all in the back end wouldn't that cause the boat to sit low in the back? Speed is not an issue for me as long as the boat is not obviously underpowered with the 70hp.
    Thanks

2. LDraper
    I have a Sportsman 17 with the 90 and absolutely love it! I can fish all weekend on half a tank of gas, the boat gets up on plane very easy and runs quiet enough so that you can hold a conversation with whoever is sitting next to you. I know you do not care about speed but I top out at 40mph. My boat sits level while fishing. You cannot go wrong with the 90.

3. Member
    I have a Sportsman 17 with a 90hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I would get the 90 just for the load carrying ability. I run a 13x18 stainless prop and it turns 5800 rpm at 41 mph fully loaded. Mine does not sit low in the back at all.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Datkins View Post
    I have a Sportsman 17 with a 90hp 4 stroke Yamaha. I would get the 90 just for the load carrying ability. I run a 13x18 stainless prop and it turns 5800 rpm at 41 mph fully loaded. Mine does not sit low in the back at all.
    That sounds good. Im going with the 90. Thanks for the input. One other question is about the trolling motor. Stay with the standard 12v or upgrade to the 24v.
    Thanks again

5. Member
    Upgrade to the 24v, and go variable speed.

6. Member
    I upgraded to the 24 volt. You will be glad you did when the wind starts blowing. It comes with an onboard 2 bank battery charger too

I upgraded to the 24 volt. You will be glad you did when the wind starts blowing. It comes with an onboard 2 bank battery charger too
    What size lb tm do you have? I'm looking at putting an 80lb 24v on a Sportsman 17PFX. Thinking the 112lb would be way overkill.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry56 View Post
    Hi
    New to the forum. I've been looking at the G3 Sportsman 17 and was wondering about the best motor to get. Yamaha F70 or F90
    I know the ole saying "buy the max hp the boat is rated for" However in this case is it worth it or necessary to to add 110lbs to the boat to go up to the 90hp? With the batteries,fuel tank and motor all in the back end wouldn't that cause the boat to sit low in the back? Speed is not an issue for me as long as the boat is not obviously underpowered with the 70hp.
    Thanks
    What did you end up with on the motor and tm?
    Im looking at buying a 17 PFX, is that what you got?

9. Member
    I have a 75# 5 speed on a 1756. My issue is even on "1", with little or no wind, it's to much for me. I put on a two blade prop, and that helped slow it down.
    My regret is not getting the variable speed. Might keep me from switching between the two and three blade props

10. Member
    I upgraded to the Minn Koda Maxxum by mistake but so happy I did. Turns out the dealer wired my 12v TM as a 24v! Needless to say it started melting the wire. I contacted the dealer and upgraded me from the 55lb edge to the 70lb Maxxum for $100 and let me keep the extra battery for free. Mine is variable speed and runs that boat about 3.86mph (GPS) (Loaded with me and one other grown man) on 100 which is pretty fast for trolling. Also if you plan on tournament fishing buy a couple of extra pins for the TM... made that mistake.
    2019 Skeeter ZX225
    Tempest Plus 25p prop
    112 Minn Koda Ultrex I-Piolet Link

11. Member
    24 Volt,80 lb
    cause the wind is not your friend and I fish TM only lakes with my 80

I would imagine the 24v 70 or 80lb would make it zip. Good info Bassboss. I wonder what numbers the 80lb would return on this boat, or how much difference is there between the 70 and 80, would the 80 drain the batteries much quicker than the 70.
    Im pretty set on the Ulterra which only comes in 80lb or 112lb. I think the 112 is 36v.
    Rob Kenny
    Weatherford, TX
    Bass Tracker PRO16

Quote Originally Posted by lukethedog View Post
    24 Volt,80 lb
    cause the wind is not your friend and I fish TM only lakes with my 80
    How long does your tm batteries last if doing a lot of fast trolling?
    Rob Kenny
    Weatherford, TX
    Bass Tracker PRO16

14. Member
    Lucky charm- running at the same speed, the 70 should drain the batteries quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunked again View Post
    Lucky charm- running at the same speed, the 70 should drain the batteries quicker.
    Really? Is it because of how many amps it draws?
    Rob Kenny
    Weatherford, TX
    Bass Tracker PRO16

16. Member
    Yes, that's what I was thinking. Going 3mph with a 70#, vs 3mph with an 80#.

Have any of y'all tried to put a 2 or 3 tray Plano tackle box in the step storage box? Just wondering if a couple of tackle boxes would fit in there and be able to close the lid.
    Rob Kenny
    Weatherford, TX
    Bass Tracker PRO16

18. Member
    I have a Bass Mafia 3700 deep coffin and a regular Bass Mafia 3700 in mine along with a couple of small worm bags

I have a Bass Mafia 3700 deep coffin and a regular Bass Mafia 3700 in mine along with a couple of small worm bags
    Nice. Do you think the Plano tackle box would be much taller? Or is there plenty on room above the Bass Mafia with the storage box lid closed?
    Rob Kenny
    Weatherford, TX
    Bass Tracker PRO16

20. Member
    Plenty of room above it for the storage lid to close.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast