Thread: Another problem

Banned

Another problem

So, a couple of weeks ago I wrote of a friend who had an air compressor go out on his 250 pro xs. He has now learned that an oil pump has failed as well. Could these problems be related ? Again it's a 2009 with only 56 hours. This seems like a lot of expensive repairs for such few hours. Just wondering. Thanks!

The compressor is lubed by the oil pump but if the pump failed, I would think there would be damage to the powerhead too. He should have the fuel rails cleaned by Don before running it with the new parts. The failed compressor just polluted them with debris. Don't forget about a oil pump prime with a computer NOT the one with the throttle!

I truly believe from my experience with 2-strokes going back the early 1980s that letting one sit is not good for them. Tell your buddy to go fishing more!!!

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

3. Banned
    Thanks! Ha, I'll tell him to go more but unfortunately life gets in the way for lots of us. He uses it more than the hours show but he doesn't run very far when he goes. Thanks again

4. Banned
    how did the oil pump fail leaking is not failing simple oring fix for the leak .

5. Member
    Is this motor in the hands of an experienced mechanic?
    The reason for the question is that if the oil pump failed, the entire motor should be evaluated: compression, leak-down, bore scope.
    Lots of severe issues might have been instigated.

As to the low hours, these motors like to be run and if they are not then they need to be stored properly. There are threads here about procedures.
    Michael Martin
    Virginia...now in Maryland
    1998 P III, 2006 200 Optimax SOLD
    2017 Robalo 226 Cayman, 200 Yamaha 4 stroke

6. Member
    My oil pump and compressor were both replaced within 3 months of each other.

7. Member
    My oil pump failed at the same time as my compressor,,

8. Banned
    To clarify, the oil pump is leaking. Cost of part alone was quoted at $500. We aren't experienced enough to take it apart and attempt a repair on such a critical component. Ha

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatpower View Post
    To clarify, the oil pump is leaking. Cost of part alone was quoted at $500. We aren't experienced enough to take it apart and attempt a repair on such a critical component. Ha
    Probably a wise decision. I "could"... but I "WON'T" due to the very critical nature of the component.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

10. Member
    Mine is leaking also. Called local Bass Cat dealer in Tuscaloosa. Service guy says Mercury's policy is to replace the pump. Gave him serial number and he said he would order pump and call me when it gets in, was expecting 2 days. Called back and said warehouse they use was out and it was coming from Wisconsin, would take about 4 days. Said they just installed their last on-hand pump this past week. Certainly seems like a systemic problem, eh? Particularly when it is an o-ring failure that could be repaired for a buck's worth of parts, as opposed to replacing the entire pump which apparently (in my case) is working fine. It would seem that just a slight increase in thickness, or else perhaps an increase in hardness would solve this. They compress to the point that the metal cover on the pump is contacting the metal body of the pump with not enough o-ring thickness (or hardness) to provide a good seal. Ends up being a metal on metal seal.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200