Oil-less vs peanut oil..

FWIW... Or for conversation's sake...

Im at my local hangout and a conversation had a few weeks ago led up to a cookoff/sampling/taste test thing today for the game.. Did 2 turkeys... a chargriller big easy oil less fryer VS my 12 inch stainless pipe homemade fryer with good ole peanut oil!!

No official judging has been done yet but I just cut them both up.... I'm worried... Mine was good but hers was good.. Hers seemed to stay a lil more juicy but I think I went 10 mins too long on mine..my heat was a lil low when I dropped so I added 10 minutes and shouldn't have... My skin tastes better... We agreed beforehand to use same seasoning/marinade....

2. Member
    And also another btw.... Cajun injector blows Tony's out the water!! I did a test run last night using Tony's creole butter that I had and did my turkey today with old school Cajun injector Cajun butter or whatever they call it....Cajun injector rocks!! I won't buy the Tonys version ever again..

We did one at work in an oil less last year. To me oil less tastes very similar to a baked turkey in the oven. Make your own injection with hot sauce butter Tony's liquid onion liquid garlic and a little water

Preheat to 350
    Fry at 320 3 min per pound
    Last edited by BStrick; 02-05-2017 at 05:46 PM.

20XDC / Promax

4. Member
    I got both the grease is better in my opion And taste buds. Just can't beat picking all the crunchy stuff off the backs of a good fried turkey.

5. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I like Cajon Injector brand better than the Tony's also.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

6. Member
    Meat wise.. Same.. Skin? Better in oil....
    But tgd oil less fryer, you get drippings... Gravy?

im tossed..

7. Louisiana Bass Club Moderator
    I've done oil fried for years, but when i got my big easy a couple years ago i never used oil again. if you inject the bird right its the same as oil fried to me.the trick for the crispy skin is what rub you use, and to keep the lid on the cooker the entire time, but here's an extra tip for it to be better, take a pot that is big enough to almost cover the top and place it on lid while cooking,but you will have to watch it close, but it will make the skin a little crispier. We cook chicken in the big easy all the time so i have had tried a lot of different rubs and have found one we like.

8. Member
    Prairieville, Louisiana / Zolfo Springs, Florida
    I have cooked both ways and like the oil-less only for the clean up. Taste between the two is to close to call. I now use the Cajun Injection Hot and Spicy Butter but the one I like best is no longer made Rosemary. It was by for the best. Wish they would start making it again!!!!