Trim problem - help please

Well darn, just finished re-carpeting the boat. Was going to pull it outside to wash it, and when I depressed the trim switch, the motor did not move up or down. The trim motor seem to run, (I hear noise like its running). This is on a 1999 OX66 225. Motor had hydrotech power head installed in 2015. Three weeks ago I went fishing, no problems noticed so I am baffled. Last Spring I replace the trim switch on the motor So, open for suggestions.Where do I start looking first? I know nothing about the trim system on this motor. I have not noticed any leaking fluid. Boat stays in the garage.

2. Banned
    Use the trim switch on the bottom cowling. So you will be close to the trim pump motor. Unless you are hard of hearing as I be, you should be able to hear the pump run when the switch is activated.

If the pump runs but the motor does not trim up or down, first thing I would normally check is the fluid level. Easier said than done if the motor is in the down position but won't trim up. But I might first just verify for the hellavit that the manual valve is in the correct position. It should be tightened fully clock wise. See page 5-5 in your owner's manual at this link. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/s...-03-28_924.pdf

Now if the valve is fully tightened, and the pump runs, but the motor does not trim up on its own, you will need to fully untighten the valve. Turn it counter clock wise as far as it will go. Now, being a man about it, grab the lower unit and pull like hell. Keep pulling. Slowly over time the motor should start to come up. Get a strong young helper if needed. Once the motor is trimmed fully up use the locking device to hold it there. Retighten the valve.

Remove the fill cap of the pump reservoir. Add as much Dexron III fluid as it will take. Replace the cap. Unlock the lock. Using the trim switch see if the motor will trim down and then back up. Let us know what happens.

3. Member
    Thanks I will try all of your suggestions

4. Member
    FYI Managed to manually lift motor. checked trim fluid, (could not get level, too big of jackplate, LOL). Trim piston fluid looked like it may have water, milky some of it. Tried to add fluid, did manage to get trim poorly working. Guess rebuild kits are in order. My problem is getting reservoir level with 10" jackplate. I lowered trailer with race jack. May need sloped drive. Other thoughts?
    l