Thread: Propeller shaft

Question Propeller shaft

I had the mis fortune to bend my propeller shaft and had it replaced !! The problem,I have now is that my boat does no want to get on to the plain now , I had no problem before even with a bend shaft and damage prop and full live well the question is do you get different gear ratio shafts ? Mine was a 1.85 running the same prop as before and same load !!!
    2011 Nitro Z9 300 Verado 2 x 12" Hummingbird Helix + 360 / 2 x 8ft Talons and a 101lb Terrova I pilot

2. Member
    There are different pinions and drive gears which produce different final drive rations. I would not expect a legitimate dealer to replace the gears with a different ratio, however. It would be pretty normal to replace shaft, drive and pinion gears sine all were put under significant stress to bend the prop shaft.

You can confirm this by removing the lower unit. Lay it down where someone can watch the prop shaft. Put a piece of tape on both propshaft and drive shaft. Turn the drive shaft about 18.5 turns. Have your helper count the prop shaft revolutions. Should be exactly 10. If it is more, your ratio is lower. You can just turn the drive shaft until the prop shaft turns exactly 10 times, then your final drive ratio is the number of drive shaft revolutions divided by 10. Then you will know.

3. Member
    Thanks will give it a try
    2011 Nitro Z9 300 Verado 2 x 12" Hummingbird Helix + 360 / 2 x 8ft Talons and a 101lb Terrova I pilot

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Was this prop on the old propshaft when it got bent?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Ack. Good question. I assumed with a bent prop shaft that the prop was probably toast. As I said, I can't imagine a dealer changing the final drive ratio unintentionally.
    2008 Bass Cat Pantera Classic
    2014 Mercury Pro XS 200