Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guns for the wife

Took her to the range this evening, to try a few different ones. She has rheumatoid arthritis which made it challenging. She really like and felt comfortable with the Sig p238 the slide was easy to for her to use. The Glock 42 was much harder for her and had her try a Glock 19 the recoil plus the slide it is out for her. What else would be similar to the sig? The guy at the range said it was the easiest slide to operate. He is also trying to sell guns lol

2. Member
    The 43 is good ,also they make a grip that goes on the slide of the 42 or 43 that allows you to pull it back much easier

My wife also has RA and she found that the Taurus 709 slim was best for her. The mouse guns are too hard on her hand because the back strap doesn't come high enough and tends to hurt the bone/knuckle on her thumb. The mouse guns are also a bit too snappy, even in .380 for someone with RA. The full frame pistols like the SW40VE were too big for her smaller hands and the kick of the .40SW was just too much.

She really liked the feel of the 709 so that is what she has for carry and in her nightstand. She can and will use any of the other pistols if needed (except maybe the .40 SW), but for range work and plinking,she really enjoys the 709.

The key for someone with RA is what feels good to THEM, regardless of what someone without RA thinks, or what some sales guy wants to sell.

She also has a Savage .243 that she loves to shoot and is really easy on her shoulder.
    http://www.minnbass.com

“A ‘Liberal Paradise’ would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only Law Enforcement has guns.

And . . . believe it or not, such a place does indeed exist … It's called prison.”

4. Member
    Thank you, your right it's what is comfortable for her. Just want to find some others for her to try. She was ready to buy the sig last night. I shot one clip through it seemed like a good little gun.

5. Member
    might try the ruger lc380 the slide on it is also easy to pull

6. Member
    My wife has an older S&W Model 60, .38 special. Shes not real crazy about it. Almost think a small Glock 42 would have suited her better.

7. Member
    I was going to give you a compliment for getting the best end of a trade until I read the thread

In all seriousness. Maybe try a full sized revolver. They are easier to grip and you do not have to pull a slide back. And a single action pull would be easier on the hands.

8. Member

USA

You might try a Ruger LCR .22lr revolver. It has 9 shots, and I wouldn't want to get hit with any bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    You might try a Ruger LCR .22lr revolver. It has 9 shots, and I wouldn't want to get hit with any bullet.
    Good choice. Try a Kahr .380 also. But honestly if she's got a hankering for the Sig that's what I'd buy. I've never regretted buying a Sig.

10. Member
    Springfield has deal going on now to June 30th, buy any XD and send copy of receipt, yhey will send you 4 mags, holster and mag holder. Springfield XDS 9mm is single stack for around $380 at SportsmansOutdoorSuperstore.com good people to deal with.

11. Georgia Bass Club Moderator fishnfool38's Avatar
    Walther 380 is worth a look, bought my daughter one she loves it.

12. Member
    Can't go wrong with the Sig P238. My wife has had hers for a little over a year and over 1000 rounds through it with no hiccups. It is a sweet shooting pistol.

13. Member
    My wife chose the Ruger LC9S 9mm. She can work the slide just fine and it has less felt recoil than my .38 snubby.

14. Member
    LC9S very good choice ---good for her --enjoy !

Stay away from semi-autos in my opinion. An LCRx is perfect for a lady.

20 gauge youth model also!
    Old Retarded Jarhead
    Master Sergeant of Marines (Retired)

16. Member
    My little 5' tall 65 year old wife decided to get her CHL a couple of years ago. We tried all kind of guns, most she couldn't rack the slide on. The SIG P238 was a possibility, but she didn't like the "cocked and locked" carry ( I know, but it is a no go with her).

We finally ended up with two that she likes and is comfortable with. A Ruger LCRx 3" in 38 Special that stays in her car. And her favorite was the Walther CCP. It gets a bad rap online, but ours has been flawless. An indoor range operator says the CCP is a huge hit with the ladies and he can't keep them in stock.
    Tracker Panfish 16

Bonafide EX123 Kayak

17. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Warhawk View Post
    My little 5' tall 65 year old wife decided to get her CHL a couple of years ago. We tried all kind of guns, most she couldn't rack the slide on. The SIG P238 was a possibility, but she didn't like the "cocked and locked" carry ( I know, but it is a no go with her).

We finally ended up with two that she likes and is comfortable with. A Ruger LCRx 3" in 38 Special that stays in her car. And her favorite was the Walther CCP. It gets a bad rap online, but ours has been flawless. An indoor range operator says the CCP is a huge hit with the ladies and he can't keep them in stock.

Your wife is very smart. Cocked and locked without a grip safety? Safeties get manipulated several different ways, even holstering it. Good for her!

18. Member
    I bought a Sig P290 in .380 auto for my daughter. Very smooth slide, handles nicely for a compact.

19. Member
    Today the wife purchased herself a new handgun. She ended up buying a S&W 351PD revolver. Its a 7 shot .22 magnum, small 1 7/8" barrel with fiber optic sight, only weighs about 10 oz. empty, so its real light weight. Haven't shot it yet but it should have no recoil, and a 7 shot capacity should be ok for self protection. She has a .38 but it was very heavy and she didn't like the recoil, so we decided on this, Hope it helps her to get out and go shooting with me and makes it more fun for her.

20. Member
    If anyone can get wives interested or able to protect themselves, it's a plus in my book, no matter the type of caliber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast