Crow hunting anyone?

Anybody here crow hunt?

I've been a couple times over the years, but have gotten into it this year. I found a few resting spots and a few feeding spots that 500+ are using. It has been a blast this year.

Any tips or techniques?

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    Anybody here crow hunt?

I've been a couple times over the years, but have gotten into it this year. I found a few resting spots and a few feeding spots that 500+ are using. It has been a blast this year.

Any tips or techniques?
    500 plus? Wow that's a lotta crow. Save it for the UT fans as they will need it to eat after the up and coming season.

3. Member
    used to crow hunt a bunch back in the day----what a blast ---one thing i always found was after shooting a few had to move a little bit as they would wise up real fast .

4. Member
    Used to alot myself. Got pretty intense there for a while. NAFTA agreement is why there is a actual crow team now.

5. Member
    Go to the Crowbuster site and learn plenty

Quote Originally Posted by Choothim View Post
    500 plus? Wow that's a lotta crow. Save it for the UT fans as they will need it to eat after the up and coming season.
    As if Bama fans didn't eat their share after the Clemson loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ABE View Post
    Go to the Crowbuster site and learn plenty
    Looked around there some, but not wanting to pay a membership to read threads.

Basic info without membership wasn't any breaking news. Basic hunting 101 for any workable fowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hale View Post
    As if Bama fans didn't eat their share after the Clemson loss.
    mine was tasty.

9. Member
    Back in the day we had a old Johnny Stuart cassette player and used to smash them. We add our dead to the decoy numbers and the day would just keep getting better
    ~~1995 Gambler~~

Mercury 250 ProXS
    Bobs 10" AJ
    Dual Power Poles
    2-HB 1199's HB 1158 HB 597 in dash
    Ultrex 112

"Runs like a cheetah... with his @$$ on fire"

We like to put out 20-30 decoys, some motion decoys and carry plenty of shells. Being able to stay hidden is most critical.

Here was our best day last year

11. Member
    Just throw a McDonalds bag of food down on the ground, they will come!

I would think a .17 HMR would be ideal for crows.

The mojo crow will bring them in for some close shots. Best day ever I shot one and it hung upside down in a tree top. Had to go get more shells.

shot a few in My days ,, Always kill the 1st bird in (scout crow) We shot a crow 1 day and broke it's wing .. We would tie his leg to a stake and let it raise hell and flop around ,, best decoy We every had ... love shooting them with My 17 HMR or 17 WSM ...

Shot 19 today. Missed a lot more. Took me a while to figure out the full choke was working much better than the modified. Used a Foxpro with 21 different sounds.
    2017 Ranger Z520c "Blackout Edition"
    2017 Mercury Optimax ProXS 250
    HB Solix 12 G3 MSI+, Solix 12 G2 MSI+, Solix G2 MDI+, Solix 12 2d/gps, Ultrex Mega360, Mega Live
    NRA Life Member
    -Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour-

We can only hunt Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in TN. Let them rest this weekend. (Basically because no one else could go). We're going back to the staging area between roost and food where they go right after daylight Saturday morning. Watched 500+ go in there this morning. Have the mojo, flocked decoys, electronic call, and blind ready. Can't wait to see dad's face when they really start acting stupid.

16. Member
    Season almost over in SC ... Ends Mar 1

17. Member
    Sounds like fun. Haven't been in 50 years, so it might be time. What shells, light or heavy. (12 ga)

Quote Originally Posted by TomzRanger View Post
    Sounds like fun. Haven't been in 50 years, so it might be time. What shells, light or heavy. (12 ga)
    I like to shoot 7-1/2 dove loads. We don't have any problem killing birds with them and they're cheap to shoot. We used to shoot high brass lead in 4's and 5's, but it got expensive going through that many boxes in a day.

We use the run and gun method. We hit a 10,000 acre management area and set up every mile or so. Always get 3-5 to come in and then we move to the next spot.

I was sitting at the drive thru of McDonalds one morning and kept seeing crows flying East, counted 75 in minutes. I went the back way to work and passed a cut corn field and there must have been 3-400 on the pivot.

I see the most activity on cloudy days.

Stopped at bass pro today only because my nephew gave me a gift card for Christmas. Picked up a few boxes of high brass #6 lead. Same load I used to shoot at ducks before steel shot. $8.49/ box.

Saturday morning weather is cloudy and 10 mph wind. They were stacked in there this morning. Sitting in trees on edge of corn field and in field.