Toledo Bend lodging help

Hey guys myself and a few (5) co workers are trying to plan a trip to toledo in May. I will be driving from Alabama and the rest of the guys are from MS and LA. Nobody has been on Toledo before. My question is where do i need to look for a place to stay. We would like a cabin in a good part of the lake. I dont mind covering water but i know some of the guys wouldnt feel comfortable trying to get all over Toledo in smaller 17-18ft boats. Hope you guys can help would love to book asap. Thanks.

2. Member
    Cypress bend resort is centrally located on the lake and offers plenty of amenities....that's where I normally stay. There is also south toledo bend state park....they have pretty nice cabins but it is located on the south end by the dam.

Quote Originally Posted by BB' View Post
    Cypress bend resort is centrally located on the lake and offers plenty of amenities....that's where I normally stay. There is also south toledo bend state park....they have pretty nice cabins but it is located on the south end by the dam.
    Does cypress bend resort offer cabins. Is south toledo bend state park in a good part of the lake?

I like Fin & Feathers on South Texas side.

Choice rentals on toledo bend lake they have cabins all over the lake or fin & feather is real nice.
    2004 Bullet 21 XDC,Mercury 250XS

6. Member
    In my opinion fin and feather is in the middle of the best part of the lake. It is located in Housen bay. Short drive to lowes creek, Six mile and Mill. Around the corner from Indian mounds. If you are going in 17-18 foot boats research all the launches in the surrounding coves so you don't have to run the big water. Just drive to the launches close to where you want to fish.

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Bridge Bay Resort is another decent place.....its mid lake, Louisiana side by Pendleton Bridge.
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

Yeah i looked at bridge bay but a coworker kinda talked me out of it. He said thats wut is considered the north end of the lake and the best fishing is down south. Any truth to that guys?

9. Member
    I've stayed at fin and feather, the north and south state park cabins, all of them are good. Fin and feather has a restaurant on site, boat launches and covered boat slips. My dad rented a 12 man cabin at bridge bay resort in march , 6 of us going and it was only $150 night, never been there before, so we will see. The north end of the lake is usually stained and more timber and the south end clear with lots of grass, but last time I was up there there wasn't much grass to be seen. I would suggest the boatlane software for your gps, The la side is usually good about marking boat lanes and keeping up with them, texas side not so much, there will be several missing. Do not run on plane out of the boat lane markers, idle only. If you ever see the lake when its low you will understand. People that fish there a lot know the water levels and know where to run, I still don't run on plane even if I know there's nothing there, Just don't want to roll the dice.

10. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lsufan334 View Post
    Yeah i looked at bridge bay but a coworker kinda talked me out of it. He said thats wut is considered the north end of the lake and the best fishing is down south. Any truth to that guys?
    Its pretty much mid lake.....but to fish place you have to get out into the main lake to get to places.....Fin Feather has a lot of the big coves right around the corner both north and south.....if you do plan on fishing south then fin feather or anything around that area would be your best bet....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

My advice on cabins, go with a reputable place of a place someone you personally know can vouch for. We rented one that ended up being up and down a small mountain that was miles down a red dirt road. (Got all over my boat) While pretty, it wasn't practical for trailing around to fish daily

20XDC / Promax

12. Member
    We stay at Wildwood each trip and that is very nice. It's on San Miguel and close to Toledo Tackle and restaurants. It has its own launch and store. May be on the higher side, price wise but worth it in my opinion.
    Last edited by 210SP; 02-05-2017 at 08:24 AM.

13. Member
    We have stayed at Alpine Marina for several years. It is a no frills place with trailers and motel rooms. It has a launch there inPaulo Gaucho. Not to far of a drive to other areas either. We like fishing that creek so it works for us. Have stayed at Wildwood as well. Much nicer accommodations. Location is good. It is hilly though making it hard to park boats. Like others have said, it's best to trailer to creeks you want to fish and not run the lake if you can avoid it. By all means get "boat lanes " for your gps.
    2007 Ranger Z19 - 225 Pro XS

14. Member
    I sleep in the boat when I go each year.That way...I wake up and just cast...and then snooze when I am ready again.

Somebody got jokes

20XDC / Promax

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BStrick View Post
    Somebody got jokes
    I have stayed in 4 or 5 of the places mentioned....I am not too particular about a place...as long as they clean it and change the linens. I am only going to be spending around 5-6 hours in there to get a little sleep....the rest of the time, I am...fishing.

Fin and Feather in launch in Housen
    Harborlight Marina (Mid-lake)
    Paradise point marina (South Toledo bend)**
    Alpine Marina (Trailers and motel)

Our club goes every march and May, and we typically stay at Alpine Marina because it's s many people. I like paradise point b/c I fish South Toledo Bend but can get to Housen, Indian Mound, Pirate Cove, etc if the lake isn't rough

OK next question. We will have guys that are LA residents. Do they have to buy an out of state TX license if we stay on the TX side of Toledo? I know on Lake Eufaula here in Alabama we dont have to. I know i have to because Im from Alabama. Thanks for any help.

19. Member
    If you have a LA license you are fine when on Toledo Bend. If you plan to fish from the bank or from a pier on the texas side you would need a texas license.

20. Member
    Cypress bend is nice but it's on the main lake and if the wind is blowing there's no place to get out of it much less try to leave the launch...like others,said fin and feathers