New load didnt work as well.

The Sierra mkhpbt with 42 grains of 2520 didnt work near as well as my hornady amax with 44 grains. Here are the best at 100 yards. I took my buddy's son and let him shoot with me. A couple of the outside shots are his. This was the best group I could manage.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    So have you used 3 different powders so far Brandon?

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory Legend View Post
    So have you used 3 different powders so far Brandon?
    no just Varget and 2520. The 2520 powder I love with the 168 amax. I may work a load with 44 grains behind the Sierra. That accurate 2520 was made around the 308.

Its fun to experiment, but you won't do better than 42-44 grains of varget. My standard 308 load is 44 grains varget, 175 smk.
    Steve Sendelweck
    Phoenix 920/Mercury 250 ProXS

Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    Its fun to experiment, but you won't do better than 42-44 grains of varget. My standard 308 load is 44 grains varget, 175 smk.
    have you tried 2520? 44 grains of that behind the 168 amax was great.

I was reading that the 2520 was made pretty much just for the 308.

I dont t think I have ever used 2520, but I ususally stick with extruded powders like varget for rifle rounds. I find that varget is very consistent and forgiving. Ball powders tend to have a very small sweet spot where they perform very well. Extruded powders like varget work over a larger range of conditions, so you can change bullets or brass and the performance of the load doesnt change as much. Just my opinion.
    Steve Sendelweck

I dont t think I have ever used 2520, but I ususally stick with extruded powders like varget for rifle rounds. I find that varget is very consistent and forgiving. Ball powders tend to have a very small sweet spot where they perform very well. Extruded powders like varget work over a larger range of conditions, so you can change bullets or brass and the performance of the load doesnt change as much. Just my opinion.
    thanks for the info. I'm just learning and have several people here that know what they are doing so I research all I'm told. Thanks again

One other thing about ball vs extruded powders. Ball powders tend to be more temperature sensitive, so be careful working up a max load in the winter because it could be too hot when the ambient temperature goes up in the summer. I'm not saying don't use those powders, just be aware of some of their characteristics. Ball powders do meter better than extruded powders because of the small grain size, and they seem to give a little higher velocity.
    Steve Sendelweck

10. Honda / Raymarine Moderator Hickory Legend's Avatar
    Brandon I would stick with one powder and work with it.

Your like putting a race car together and then changing tires and gear ratios instead of working the suspension and tire pressure. Stick with what you have and work with it fine tuning it till you get the set up for the gun. Then you can change and work with another powder.

Fine tune the loads, 5 at a time. Make sure you have a gun bench rest and take your time with the shoots or your info is useless. I would get some factory loads for a base line. You need to be shoiting quarter size groups at 100 yards to be working up to 500 + yard

Your like putting a race car together and then changing tires and gear ratios instead of working the suspension and tire pressure. Stick with what you have and work with it fine tuning it till you get the set up for the gun. Then you can change and work with another powder.

Fine tune the loads, 5 at a time. Make sure you have a gun bench rest and take your time with the shoots or your info is useless. I would get some factory loads for a base line. You need to be shoiting quarter size groups at 100 yards to be working up to 500 + yard
    the 2520 powder is hat I think I'm going to stay with. 178 grain eld is what I'm going to probably shoot next. I will work some different grain loads up and try them like you are talking about.

here is the 178 amax at 100 yards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Member
    Never found a better powder than Reloder 15 for .308. I do use Varget for .223 but really like the Alliant powders in most other applications.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

14. Member

USA

I use 2520 and do well with it. Try going up or down 0.5 gr from 42 gr. Or even better 0.1 or 0.2 you will find a sweet spot. I believe that my load is 41.5 gr. Sometimes different primers or having all the same cases will make a difference, military and commercial cases are different

Quote Originally Posted by ROADRUNNER View Post
    I use 2520 and do well with it. Try going up or down 0.5 gr from 42 gr. Or even better 0.1 or 0.2 you will find a sweet spot. I believe that my load is 41.5 gr. Sometimes different primers or having all the same cases will make a difference, military and commercial cases are different
    10-4 everything I've read says the 2520 is the way to go.

16. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    Hmmm...

and then...

Brandon, do you ever 'leave fish to find fish'?

Yeah... Guilty here, too.
    Who controls John Gill?

Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post
    Hmmm...

and then...

Brandon, do you ever 'leave fish to find fish'?

Yeah... Guilty here, too.
    lol, I'm so bitten by this reloading bug I can't stand it. I guess I'm going back to the 178's. Lol