Anybody w/ a bird have pics of alternative rigging tubes?

I have a 2016 921, and the damn rigging tube is driving me nuts. I've done my research on here and other places and am aware of several alternatives but I have yet to see any utilized on a Phoenix/Mercury.

I honestly can't jack the motor up high enough, or put it low enough, to eliminate a damaging amount of bend when trimming up. Even turning to the left or right and the Quicksilver/Mercury 2.5" rigging tube is stressed beyond capacity. Took it in and was told I need to elevate the jack plate before trimming. Something like $250 for parts plus 1-1.5hrs labor at $120/hr. The bird was approximately 6 months old w/ 36 hours on the Merc 250 ProXS when I purchased it and the rigging tube was already damaged; for the last 3 months it has been busted wide open. To me this is an unacceptable cost for something that is just going to happen again within 36 hours of use. I typically run between 13 and 15 on my Atlas gauge which reads off at something like 3.25" to maybe 4" and I believe the motor is mounted in the second hole.

I have what I consider to be a very low key bird, flat paint, no glitter, no flake, no glitz just clean business. So with all this said, does anyone have pics of a clean looking alternative to the BS Quicksilver/Mercury rigging tube on a bird? I've seen the zippered ones and the hook and loop durawrap ones but neither on a Phoenix or on a Mercury 250. I'd be pretty bummed if the only alternative is to either replace the OEM part annually or replace the the tube w/ shop vac tube annually. If the shop vac tubing is my best bet, what manual can you guys recommend to figure out how to disconnect and reconnect everything?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for everyone's time

2. Member
    Older Rangers used the same expandable material as seen in rod socks/gloves. It would never break.

http://m.cabletiesandmore.com/catego...e-sleeving-561

Before I trim my motor all the way up I always lift my plate all the way up. I used to trailer with the plate all the way down and trim up forgetting about it. My rigging tube lasted probably 2 weeks before it split. Now that it happened and I had it completely fixed I am very carful about it and hardly ever trailer with my plate all the way down anymore unless it's a far haul. I haven't had any issues as far as trimming up too far while on the water damaging it. Only happens on the trailer when putting the motor mate on. It really does look like crap when it breaks too. I can't believe mercury hasn't came out with some better material that won't break so easy.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

Quote Originally Posted by Cfrench085 View Post
    Older Rangers used the same expandable material as seen in rod socks/gloves. It would never break.

Thats probably the best bet.

Double or triple it up and you should be good to go.

Only bad thing is unhooking everything to do it correctly.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xranger77 View Post
    Thats probably the best bet.

Double or triple it up and you should be good to go.

Only bad thing is unhooking everything to do it correctly.
    Yea. I would go with the zipper style just because it would be so much easier to get on or run a new wire.

Quote Originally Posted by kry29 View Post
    Yea. I would go with the zipper style just because it would be so much easier to get on or run a new wire.
    For sure

7. The Kairos Lures Guy Fidgetcranker's Avatar
    I did not know rigging tubes were used according to brand of motor. I just figured they were an aftermarket thing that all brands used.
    No problems yet with my sho, and none with previous etec...knock on wood!

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fidgetcranker View Post
    I did not know rigging tubes were used according to brand of motor. I just figured they were an aftermarket thing that all brands used.
    No problems yet with my sho, and none with previous etec...knock on wood!
    Mine hasn't cracked either but I think I'm going to shorten it because it rubs the boat pretty bad. It is strange there's not one common part that Phoenix uses. I guess it's what the motor companies send to them

Im lucky with the Verado Pro. My tube seems to be perfect and doesnt rub when I turn. Could be where its mounted on the motor too

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cfrench085 View Post

my stratos has this, looks like rod socks. it has lasted fine BUT it eats up the fiberglass from rubbing on it all the time, rubbed thru it down to second layer of glass. I finally covered the spot with a stripe of gator skin to hide it
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

11. Member
    I'm still contemplating the best way to address this issue; however, I appreciate your comments as I've picked up a thing or two from what you guys have posted.

I shortened mine and all is well for about a year now.
    Jason
    2015 Phoenix 919 225 ProXs