Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Member
    can I get a AMEN
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

2. Member
    Amen Brother!!!!!

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    Amen Brother!!!!!
    Well I just got home from having the codes read on it and its showing 0 temp codes thrown on either head. Only codes at all are a few tps codes but I know about them. We tried to get the light on at idle but no luck. Ill look again for the tee here shortly and post my findings.

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Air compressor may be overheating- that's a overheat also.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Air compressor may be overheating- that's a overheat also.
    Here are my lateat findings. My engine, a 98 optimax sn 0g743300 has no tee from wp gauge to engine. It's a straight line from wp gauge to back of engine. Unless mine has been removed (which I highly doubt) it doesn't have one. I removed entire line today and 1000% no tee is there it only hooks to one place. 2nd I also thought about air comp but wouldn't it throw a code? I cleaned one of my strainers but can't get to the other because it's apparently under the alternator or under air comp itself. A quick look at a diagram for my engine will show what I mean. Anyone know an easy way to get to that was strainer? The one I cleaned is on the starboard side. My engine doesn't have one on the port side. The computer wasn't showing any overheat on compressor. If the light is only coming on for that split second could it somehow nor be "sticking" in the system?

6. Member
    If the light is coming ON and the boat IS alarming, even if only for a second, then a fault WILL BE set. Print-outs of the Freeze Frame History, and Fault Seconds Counters will show the cause.

7. Member
    If the light is coming ON and the boat IS alarming, even if only for a second, then a fault WILL BE set. Print-outs of the Freeze Frame History, and Fault Seconds Counters will show the cause.
    Only codes shown were for tps. Quite a few of them. Freeze frame shows tps codes 8 times other than that nothing since I had them cleared. My local merc dealer is lost and is calling it a "Ghost" code. Fished a tourney today and on my run back to the ramp which was around 32 miles it came on 2 times but only for a split second. I have no idea what to do...lol

8. Member
    First of all get the TPS fixed before your stranded making 32 mile runs. Your motor is WARNING you of this problem, don't ignore it.
    Secondly, since you have fresh data with the problem from yesterday, I would try a different dealer this week.

Sounds like your Local Dealer is missing something on the data interpretation.
    Get Print-outs, and post them here, of the Run History, Freeze Frame (Fault) History and Fault Seconds Counters. If the data is interpreted correctly, then the problem will be found (even if your tech "thinks" there's a "ghost").

9. Member
    Did the Motor/Engine indicator light ever come on recently? If the TPS is showing multiple FAULTS, then the MOTOR indicator LIGHT has to come ON. Maybe someone switched the wires going to the MOTOR and TEMPERATURE indicator bulbs.

10. Member
    Did the Motor/Engine indicator light ever come on recently? If the TPS is showing multiple FAULTS, then the MOTOR indicator LIGHT has to come ON. Maybe someone switched the wires going to the MOTOR and TEMPERATURE indicator bulbs.
    When I first start the engine to let it warm up the tps will throw a check engine light but soon as I got from neutral to drive then back to neutral it won't do it anymore that day. It seems to need to releven each day kinda. That light show as being thrown and shows why but nowhere in the system does it show temp faults. I only have a small selection of merc guys near me so maybe I need to expand my reaches and try someone else

11. Member
    Make sure that your not applying any Throttle while the key is on during the starting process, or you could induce a TPS fault.

12. Member
    You can't be that far from Greenville SC as you're in NC. Take it to Don and get it fixed right! I brought a boat to him from Ft. Lauderdale once and it was finally fixed! Could save you a lot of grief, it sure did for me.
    Dave Sheffield
    Proudly Representing:
    Bass Cat Boats
    Mercury Outboards
    MotorGuide Trolling Motors
    Ardent Outdoors
    Power Pole

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Make sure that your not applying any Throttle while the key is on during the starting process, or you could induce a TPS fault.
    Need to STRESS this again. VERY important that throttle NEVER be applied unless you are IN GEAR, and GOING SOMEWHERE.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Shef View Post
    You can't be that far from Greenville SC as you're in NC. Take it to Don and get it fixed right! I brought a boat to him from Ft. Lauderdale once and it was finally fixed! Could save you a lot of grief, it sure did for me.
    Good advice. I drive 3 hrs and would do a whole lot more if required. You should have about a 4hr drive.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Need to STRESS this again. VERY important that throttle NEVER be applied unless you are IN GEAR, and GOING SOMEWHERE.
    I have never done this at all. I was told that the first day I bought the boat.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shef View Post
    It's not too awful far. Ill be honest here......I'm very hard headed and I try my best to fix my own issues with only advice from others.....but.....I'm learning quick with this optimax that if u don't have expensive computers and tons of experience it's a waste of time. So far I have tackled all my issues but this one is whooping me. Myrtle Beach isn't far so before I make the trip to Greenville I'll try my top pick merc certified mechanic and if he can't do it well....Don here I'll come!!!!

17. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ncshooter View Post
    I have never done this at all. I was told that the first day I bought the boat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123