Pro V vs El cheapos

I usually play Noodles, love the softness and distance have never been an issue... I got 2 dozen Pro-v1s for Christmas from my Boss. After playing 18 with the Pro-Vs I can honestly say I prefer the noodles. And $12 a dozen vs. $50.00...

What am I missing?
    Sheldon Linhart
    Excelsior Springs, MO
    1995 Dynatrak /Yamaha Pro V150

Depends on how you play really. If you cant hit the green from outside of lets
    say a six or seven iron, you probably dont need to play proV's. I can take any ball and spin it with a 7 iron or less. Maybe not quite as much as a ProV, but I can still get it to stop. For me, where they really shine is 180-220 yards, because I can spin them and get them to stop, where I would struggle with a cheaper ball. I also like them around the greens, because I can carry the ball most of the distance and still get em to stop. They feel nice off my putter too. I generally dont buy ProV's lately. I have been playing the Chrome Soft and its a sweet ball. Every bit as good as a ProV

You're probably missing the swing speed to compress the Pro V properly where as the noodle is must softer and made for slower swing speeds.
    Nothing wrong with not liking the Pro V. Play the ball you like and helps your game.

The Pro V is way over priced. There are many balls out there just as good or a tad better for a much cheaper price. The only good Pro V's are free Pro V's.
    1996 ProCraft 185 DC Pro, Mercury EFI 150

I still play Pinnacle Golds on occasion, I can get them to stop on a hop and on rare occasions spin them but nothing like a ProV. They are a better ball off the tee for distance and less side spin compared to a ProV.

I would definitely play with what you're having the most success with. I switched because I'd built up quite a collection of ProV's I'd found on the course. As stated, ProV's are way overpriced new. I buy second hand used (not reconditioned) and rarely pay more than $2 a ball.

5. Member
    Have you tried the new Piannacle Soft yet ??

6. Member
    I bought the new bridgestones for $10 a box. Usually play nxt tours and chrome, but love to use proV for tournaments

Callaway chrome soft. I got some for my birthday and really like them. Wife got a good deal on em at Costco. Costco is also gonna be carrying the ProV knockoffs again too.
    " A Few Good Fish"
    Please check out my youtube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuuwIthNWDweOTGjtkfOVGw

8. Member
    You got to have some skills for it to make a difference.

Exactly
    " A Few Good Fish"

Quote Originally Posted by John Br. View Post
    Have you tried the new Piannacle Soft yet ??
    Pinnacle changed from having a distance and control ball to a combination ball for about 2 years and now they're going back to 2 different balls again. I'm pretty certain the new "soft" model is similar to the old FX and then the control they came out with. The much older Pinnacle Gold balls from 6-7 years ago were like hitting rocks.

I have some top flite xl balls. The orange and the green ones. Just cuz im a rookie and thought it would be easier to find the balls. Theyre ok. Kinda hard.
    " A Few Good Fish"

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheel14 View Post
    I have some top flite xl balls. The orange and the green ones. Just cuz im a rookie and thought it would be easier to find the balls. Theyre ok. Kinda hard.
    And that is why they are call "Top Rocks".

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cart7 View Post
    Pinnacle changed from having a distance and control ball to a combination ball for about 2 years and now they're going back to 2 different balls again. I'm pretty certain the new "soft" model is similar to the old FX and then the control they came out with. The much older Pinnacle Gold balls from 6-7 years ago were like hitting rocks.
    I played 13 holes last weekend with the "Softs"-- did not hit driver because the tee boxes are still closed, these feel really good off my irons and tho I'm not a high spin player with my short irons and wedges I had no problem stopping these

Quote Originally Posted by John Br. View Post
    I played 13 holes last weekend with the "Softs"-- did not hit driver because the tee boxes are still closed, these feel really good off my irons and tho I'm not a high spin player with my short irons and wedges I had no problem stopping these
    I found an "FX" model on the course years ago and decided to play it. They do feel really good off irons. The FX was then changed to "Precision". Then they merged the distance and control balls into the Gold model around 3-4 years ago. Those balls played more like the softer models than the old rock hard distance balls. I suppose there were complaints from the distance buyers and now they appear to be going back to 2 different models of the Golds again.

I still have a couple boxes of the merged Golds so I won't need to buy the new softs for awhile but I will still play them especially when it's cold out.

Whats a decent priced ball for the beginner ball thats fairly easy to hit straight? Obviously I will not be buying the "Top Rocks" anymore. Haaahaaaa. I like my Callaway Chrome soft balls but I have lost a few. It happens.
    " A Few Good Fish"

Go to snell.com and buy some "get sum" golf balls. I play the Snell "my tour ball" since the beginning.
    Another good inexpensive ball is Wilson Duo.
    Both are good for pretty much every golfer.

17. Member
    Golf balls are all about swing speed and like was already mentioned how you play. If you like to spin the ball or say you have a slice or hook of the tee you want a ball that doesn't spin as much. The PRO V's and PRO V1X are made for faster swing speeds typically over 105mph if you don't have the swing speed you won't notice a difference between the two as you won't compress the ball as much. Cheaper golf balls have a harder core and a different casing on the ball which typically is made for a slower swing speed to get distance or decrease spin to lessen the hook or slice you may have. Hope that helps! again its all preference I play the Chrome Soft from Callaway simply because I know what the ball is going to do off of my club face. I can certainly play a PRO V and Pro v1x if I wanted to.

My GF is a PGA Professional and her swing speed is drastically slower than mine however she can get away with playing a PRO V because she doesn't generate a lot of spin with her club face and yet she still doesn't like to use them. again all preference when your a higher handicap player ( more than 15) single digit handicaps usually like the more expensive balls for the performance they can get and for making different shot shapes.

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out. I'm getting my first golf lesson tomorrow at golf galaxy. I'll find out more information there.
    " A Few Good Fish"