USA oil leaking from compressor 2007 225 pro xs

2007 225 Mercury Optimax Pro XS
    SN# 1B389226

I found oil on the compressor so I wiped it off. I took the boat for a day and came back home and when I pulled the cowling there was more oil. The motor runs normal and there are no noticeable noises coming from the compressor. There are no leaking hoses connected to the compressor. I pulled the belt off and rotated the compressor and nothing noticeable. The pulley has no play in it either. Is this the sign of a compressor failing? I have attached a couple of pictures. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    The compressor will need replaced.

3. Member
    Thanks for giving me your opinion. Its really expensive but I wonder if I should get my injectors cleaned up too?

4. Member
    Could be more expensive if you don't. Call Don

5. Member
    That is true!

6. Member
    You catch it early like yours is now you can just replace compressor and the 2 filters.

You caught it before it grenaded. You don't necessarily need to have the fuel system cleaned at this point

8. Banned

Thumbs Up

lots of options for a compressor remember the sponsors .
    Last edited by blisteringthewatter; 02-05-2017 at 07:19 PM.

9. Member
    Thanks for the information! very helpful forum

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I would recommend replacing the compressor, and the two (2) return oil line filters.

Given the very early stage on your compressor, pull it apart and check for ANY signs of metallic component failure. Bearings, crankpin, rod, piston, cylinder wall, and reed plate.

If there are ZERO signs of metal failure- simply replace the compressor and filters. If you note ANY metal component damage, odds are high that metallic debris has passed into the air side of the system.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

11. Member
    Thanks I will do that.

12. Member
    Hi Don, I attached some pics of what I found. I took the whole compressor apart and all I was able to find was oily grime and in that grime was a few super tiny fragments of metal. I could not see any failure in the crank pin, bearings rod, piston cylinder wall or reed plate though. Is that normal to find inside the compressor?
    Attached Images Attached Images

13. Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage View Post
    The compressor will need replaced.
    What is involved with replacing a compressor? Just the filters and compressor itself? Helping a friend replace his.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheatpower View Post
    What is involved with replacing a compressor? Just the filters and compressor itself? Helping a friend replace his.
    The compressor needs to be disassembled and evaluated before replacement begins. The inspection will dictate the appropriate course of action needed.

One motor per thread please.

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliamtrey1 View Post
    Hi Don, I attached some pics of what I found. I took the whole compressor apart and all I was able to find was oily grime and in that grime was a few super tiny fragments of metal. I could not see any failure in the crank pin, bearings rod, piston cylinder wall or reed plate though. Is that normal to find inside the compressor?
    No. If there are any metal fragments visible- there is a failure that you've not found or seen.

Pictures posted are simply too small to make any judgement call from...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    I never found what the failure was for sure. So I removed the fuel rails and injectors and shipped them your way Don.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliamtrey1 View Post
    I never found what the failure was for sure. So I removed the fuel rails and injectors and shipped them your way Don.
    Pays to be cautious, Good call.
    Michael Martin
    Virginia...now in Maryland
    1998 P III, 2006 200 Optimax SOLD
    2017 Robalo 226 Cayman, 200 Yamaha 4 stroke

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grybrd View Post
    Pays to be cautious, Good call.
    +1.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV