Etec G2 150 H.O prop help

Hello,

I have a Trition TR 186 that was running 62 mph (gps) with a Mercury 150 optimax (long shaft) .. unfortunately it needed a rebuild so I decided to repower with a new 150 H.O G2. The old mercury was spinning a 23 pitch tempest no problem.
    After seeing the lower unit gearing of the new etec (2.17) I am wondering if I should go up in pitch? I would assume the lower gearing would spin a bigger prop easier than the mercury (geared at 1.87) hence the "torque" from these new G2 engines. If not then I am likely going to see a pretty big speed loss at the top end due to the gearing compared to my old mercury pitch for pitch.
    I need to choose a prop this week but after that I am on my own to sell/buy props until I dial it in, I was thinking a 24 raker since they do not make a 23 pitch or would that be too much prop for this engine? A 22P prop with the 2.17 gearing shows a significant loss in speed on any prop calculator I found online.
    FYI I do have a manual jack plate so I can take full advantage of the low water pick ups on this H.O engine.
    thanks in advance for any feedback! Hopefully the lakes around here thaw out soon

2. Member
    right now im leaning towards the 24 raker 2 .. but if any fellow g2 owners experience to share im all ears

3. Member
    So have you figured this out yet? I re-powered from a 2004 Johnson 150 running a 24 Raker on a Stratos 285 ProXL to a e-tec 150 HO G-2. Now I’m running a 25 Tempest+ and hitting max RPM’s at 3.25” propshaft to pad. With the old setup I got 5400 rpms, 61 mph. Same motor depth. With the G2 I’m getting 59 mph and it feels like it’s blowing out on turns. I’m thinking more Cup is needed, the Tempest+ just doesn’t seem to lift like my Raker did.