Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    If running the FS version, I agree. I find they spin a tad more than a stock "sterndrive" Bravo.
    David Patten
    Automotive and marine technician.

2. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I'm on the fence on that... would be inclined to try a 22P first. These V-Rods really prefer to be right up at the upper end of the RPM band.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

3. Member
    Any advice on the rev 4? I had someone message me running the 1875 version sion and said the bravo was a bad fit for his hull and the rev 4 was much better. I know the rev 4 isnt available in a 22 so it would either be a 21 or 23. Unfortunately, my dealer has nothing in stock for me to try. He is willing to order one but once he gets it it. If it isnt a good fit he cant return it so i would really like to take my first shot with my best educated guess.

So here is what i think are the top 2 i would like to try. A 23 rev 4 or a 23 bravo. Really dont know which to try first and dont understand enough about prop mechanics to hazard a guess. I know the r v 4 is designed for larger hulls and the bravo for bass hulls. Mine is right in between somwhere. Would guess.

I can confirm that hitting 6500 rpms with my current setup pretty loaded is quite possible especially if i try to raise the motor on the jack at all. This is not overtrimmed and the boat is running around 60 at the time. Not getting much bow lift but i know that wont be nearly as much as im used to see not sure what is ideal there

4. Member
    The Bravo was actually designed for big, tail heavy high horsepower sterndrives, it just happens to work well in a variety of applications. The Rev 4 is another great prop, but is quite a bit different than a Bravo. The Rev 4 more rake and is more of a bow lifting prop. It is also very smooth and nice handling/riding. The Bravo has less rake and more stern lift. Some hulls like one more than the other, I've been surprised on more than one occasion. The Rev 4 runs taller on pitch, a 21 rev will turn less RPM than a 21 tempest for sure. In most cases I find that a 21 Rev 4 will turn about the same RPM as a 23 Bravo.
    David Patten

5. Member
    Thanks for the insight David. If you had to pick one to start with hoping it was what you wer looking for, which would you go with?

6. Member
    Also I don't know if this would affect the suggestion but one thing I've notices when my boat is trimmed ip around 8 where it seems to run the best , it will at times porpoise slightly. That is running in flat water on straight stretches. Nothing violent but trimming down much from there does drop the bow and decrease perf. Not sure if one of those props would help with this. Only time i've had issues like this on past boats is when overtrimmed for a slower speed. I'm doing 55-60 when i see it on the Lund

7. Member
    Being that I have no experience with your exact hull, I can only guess..... My instinct would be to try a 22 Bravo FS. If the 22 is still getting you to 6500+, a 23 will probably be perfect. But if you get a chance to bolt on a 21 Rev 4 to try I'd go for it. Both 4 blades might cost you a tiny bit of top speed compared to the tempest, but the mid-range performance, handling and cruise fuel economy will likely be improved.
    David Patten

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    +1

I'd be inclined to go the route of the Bravo-1 (personally)- the Rev-4 definitely has it's place (I'm just not too fond of it for many single-engine applications).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Thanks for all the responses. With all the variances, i decided to just have my dealer order a 22 tempest. That i can swap for free and I'm 99% sure that the 22 will be the right tempest for my setup putting me in the 6200-6400 range and allow some movement on the jackplate that might help performance a bit. A bravo may run better and I'll keep an eye out for a chance to try one but if i ever get one, i may just keep the 22 tempest as a spare.

10. BBC SPONSOR
    Another thought too is once you purchace a prop if it's not exactly right you can send it to Mark's props and have him work it to your application. Also he is a good one to ask about prop selection along with what others on this thread has recomended. He is a board sponsor and he does amazing work. He helped me with my prop on my triton.

11. Member
    Wanted to provide an update here. I got the 22p Tempest swapped out from the dealer. Loaded heavy with a full grown partner, i was at 6200 rpms and about 57 mph. I haven't ran it by myself yet but I think that is probably where it needs to be as it would be running close to 6400 when loaded a bit lighter. It still jumped on plane really fast. The biggest issue I have is it has no bow lift. That hull is never going to lift much as It has 3 big TM batteries up front as well as ALL my tackle. At some point, I would love to try the Bravo or the Rev4 even but i don't know when i can make that happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12