Nitro 700lx question

Hey everyone, i have seen similar threads to this one before, so im sorry for bringing it up again,

I was just looking to pick the brains of fellow nitro who own a similar model to mine

i have a 2005 nitro 700 lx
    it has a 2007 evinrude 115 hp saltwater edition, with a whale tail on it
    my prop is a 13.25x 17 aluminum prop

im normally getting around 45-46 mph every now and then i see 47 when the condition are right (thats gps)

just wondering if people are running around the same?

or if anyone has any suggestions for tweaking the setup

it came with a different prop. which was faster for sure, but the whole shot was terrible, sometimes i would have to get my partner to stand on the front to get it to plane out, i think it was somewhere around a 21 pitch 3 blade stainless

thinking about a jackplate? is it worth the money?

any suggestions would be great!

I have a '97 700LX w/ 120HP Tracker. I see the same speeds as you w/ a 19 pitch 3 blade.

I don't have a jackplate, so I can't comment on that. Sorry

I feel my speed is more than adequate.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisiles View Post

it came with a different prop. which was faster for sure, but the whole shot was terrible, sometimes i would have to get my partner to stand on the front to get it to plane out, i think it was somewhere around a 21 pitch 3 blade stainless

any suggestions would be great!
    Does the prop that originally came on the boat have PVS holes? Also brand of prop would help me give advise better. The problem you describes sounds like your prop is not getting enough ventilation on hole shot. With a whale tail (as you call it) and proper prop ventilation you should be up on plane in 5 seconds or less even with two people in the boat, provided your not carrying a crazy heavy load. I hate to ask but I don't know your experience level but are you trimming the motor all the way down when trying to take off. Never hit trim up until your fully on plane.

If applicable I would remove PVS vent plugs one at a time and see what happens. IF you have vent holes and your prop is not a Mercury brand prop then I would have the holes enlarged to match the size of Mercury PVS holes.(I done this with my RakerII) This will allow you to to fine tune ventilation with plugs if needed. If you have no vent holes at all I would have vent holes drilled that match Mercury PVS specs...

A jack-plate can help with hole-shot and they have the potential to help improve other handling characteristics. However it will not cure a horrible hole shot. It can help lightly sluggish and it can make decent even better but typically it will not cure horrible.

The correct pitch and brand of prop would be helpful...I would bet a 22 Raker II would be a good prop for that combo. On an E-TECH you want to run a Raker II. So make sure it is Raker II and not a Original Raker. Also for the 115 Horsepower you will need a 13 spline. Raker and Raker II come in 13 and 15 spline. The 15 spline is for the 135 HP and up and the 13 spline is for the 115 HP and less.

4. Member
    To be honest, when I noticed the poor holeshot i didnt do my research as good as I should have I guess,
    I asked around quickly, and changed the prop to a different pitch, and noticed the big difference in hole shot, Didn't really think much of it at the time.

Unfortunately i already sold the old prop, but i believe it was an Original 20p Raker if that helps?

willing to spend the money on a new prop, just wasnt confident enought to spend the money and have it be the wrong setup again.

hahaha no worries, yes trim was all the way down when attempting to take off.

5. Member
    I used to own a 2001 700lx with a 75hp Merc. I had a 21pitch stainless PowerTech prop. Had a little extra cup added to the prop. Was a little slow out of the hole when I had livewells full, but would run 44 fully tourney loaded with 2 guys. I saw 47 with a light load and just myself. I would think that with the larger motor you should be seeing speeds closer to 50. What is your water pressure and prop to pad measurement?

6. Member
    I have a 2003 Nitro 750 SC with a 115 merc. I get 55 MPH when I am a single riger. 50MPH with two individuals. I would think you should get a little more MPH. I would play with prop and weight distribution

7. Member
    i would agree 100% with JR19, im not super familiar with evenrudes but my buddy runs a 90hp 2008 etech and he has 19 pitch raker II so you should definitely check if you have plugsin the prop ... i would assume you should be able to run a 21 pitch no problem with that 115. And if hole shot was horrible and all the plugs where in or non existant ... removing those plugs will make a whole world of a difference
    1997 Nitro 884 savage / 1997 Mariner 175 magnum II