Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2016 Xpress X19 175 SHO Motor Height

I bought a new boat about a week ago and was just busy and couldn't take it out till this last Monday, basically one week after purchase. I ran around for a few hours at low speeds and finally got to the point to where I could open the throttle and hammer down. Everything is fine until I started to trim up, bow started to lift, picked up speed & rpms, then the boat starts to aggressively dart to the left & right. I called the dealer and they asked what my pad height and cavitation plate height was. I got the measurements, cav plate is only 2" above bottom of my hull. Dealer said that measurement needs to be 5 3/4" from pad to cav plate. This seemed a little high to me, but I'm just learning this rig, looking for some help/advice, Thanks

2. Member
    The 175SHO has a 23P Powertech prop on it. It's what came on it. Already heard they were junk, any ideas?

There is a long post about this exact subject with a specific prop that seemed to correct all the ill handling aspects maybe in motor forum
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

4. Member
    If your cav plate is only 2 inch from pad you are extremely too LOW don't go by it you need to measure your prop to pad height start at 3 1/2 under and go from there and use that Powertech for an anchor and get u a FXP 23 or 24
    2015 X19 200 SHO

5. Member
    Yeah I made this post originally before I looked around and found the other thread.

I hate the fact that I will have to purchase a new prop to remedy my problem. Seems as if, Xpress would fix it themselves if they gave a damn about their customer base.

6. Pat Goff
    My experience selling Xpress:
    They do build a very good hull, but their support to the end users is very weak. Especially on setups, they'll just point you back at your dealer and tell you to work it out.

Some powertech props are top shelf, they do build props for specific needs that are more than excellent, some are just sorta price point props that need some help. Don't know which one you're running.

Anyway, first rule of setup and motor height: Take it too far and bring it back. That means raise it up until you lose speed/water pressure/bow lift, then back to last adjustment, THEN and only then YOU will know what's right on your rig.

QUOTE=BigChris;8084863]Yeah I made this post originally before I looked around and found the other thread.

I hate the fact that I will have to purchase a new prop to remedy my problem. Seems as if, Xpress would fix it themselves if they gave a damn about their customer base.[/QUOTE]
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

7. Member
    I went thru the same thing re motor height and found the 3 1/2 inch prop shaft to pad not as applicable to aluminum boats as to fiberglass in that there is no step pads and the motor sits much closer to the single rear pad. Thus motor runs better a little deeper to get that clean water you need. Every boat is a little different. For instance the Yamaha length from the Cav plate to prop shaft is longer than a Merc by almost 2 inches. So measuring the height of the Cav plate alone gets a little confusing. The Xpress site under performance has some test figures and they were running the Cav plate at 4 1/4 to 6 above pad depending o motor. On my X21 with a 225 Merc and 10" plate the suite spot is about 4 3/4 with the Cav plate which puts the prop shaft about 4 1/2 below pad. If I go higher the props start blowing out on holeshot

8. Member
    I didn't shoot out of the hole much, but when I did, I had no blow out issues whatsoever. Boat turns on like a freak, up till 50-52 mph then all hell starts breaking loose. With the excessive chine walking and porpusing like action. It darts back and forth at the bow, not just in the back of the boat.

9. Member
    Is that with the boat empty or fishing load
    2015 X19 200 SHO

10. Member
    Empty, no gear whatsoever. Life jacket, fire extinguisher and me with a full fuel tank

11. Pat Goff
    Empty?
    That's no way to test. Set it up empty and it'll never run right loaded. Get it ready to fish and then run it. I'm guessing it'll be a complete different ride.
    Pat Goff

Two degrees from center
    of nowhere.
    Smithwick TX.

[SIGPIC][<a href=http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=583&dateline=1498828542/SIGPIC] target=_blank>http://www.bbcboards.net/image.php?t...828542/SIGPIC]</a>

I actually used to work for Power Tech in mold tooling and R&D in the late 90's most of their props are reverse engineered from other props then tweaked to best performance. One of the salesman had a 20' (don't remember what kind) with a 200 Mariner and a hyd Jack plate on it and they would test and tweak. I went with him a few times.
    1996 ProGator 200V
    1998 Mercury 225 EFI
    New Carpet
    Seastar Pro Hyd Steering
    Minn Kota Ultrex

13. Member
    I'm with pat cause these boats are REALLY weight sensitive I'm a big guy and solo mine is a handful unless I put my gear all on one side but with a partner its on rails I got 72.3 on a good day empty cool weather at 2.5 under but 66-67with partner light load 3.25 under I'm runnin a 25 Txp at 5800 my Powertech 25 wich came with the boat never got over 5500 and trimmed out you couldn't hold it from darting and rolling side to side no matter what ptp I was at so I bit the bullet of having a brand new rig and having to re prop 3 weeks later but all in all I love my xpress. Still debating on the flash and really airing it out
    2015 X19 200 SHO

14. Member
    The day I took it to the lake was the first time I'd put in the water. Didn't want to have to unload all my gear out of it if I was gonna have to take it in. I basically just wanted to get it past the first couple of hours of break in. I'll load the boat out with all my gear and see how it changes things

15. Banned
    I had a skeeter than when loaded was an absolute dream to drive, but empty that was a chinewalking unmanageable bitch to drive! Def put your junk into it before fighting it more.

16. Member
    Living the good life on Lake Hartwell, Fair Play, SC
    Hmmm...this is interesting, now one told this owner that the cav plate measurement in relationship to the pad is irrelevant. Unfortunately, Your dealer knows nothing about prop to pad measurement. bigchris, do you know how to take a measurement from the center of the actual propshaft to the actual surface of the running pad? That's where you need to start.
    2013 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

17. Member
    read this:

http://www.stevescustomprops.com/faq...engine_height_

Most bass boats starting point for the centerline of the prop shaft in relation to the actual pad of the boat is 3.5" prop shaft BELOW the pad. If yoiu get a high performance boat capable of getting up and running and if the propshaft is too deep then yes you will get a very bad chine walk!! I'm no expert but I think that a lighter high performance Express hull with a 175 power plant should be able to get that hull up on top and running. Bury it too deep and it will be uncontrollable at speed.

Of course what Pat said is extremely important, raising the motor up and you better have a water pressure gauge so you do not drop the pressure below the recommended motor specs.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyFishing View Post
    read this:

http://www.stevescustomprops.com/faq...engine_height_

Most bass boats starting point for the centerline of the prop shaft in relation to the actual pad of the boat is 3.5" prop shaft BELOW the pad. If yoiu get a high performance boat capable of getting up and running and if the propshaft is too deep then yes you will get a very bad chine walk!! I'm no expert but I think that a lighter high performance Express hull with a 175 power plant should be able to get that hull up on top and running. Bury it too deep and it will be uncontrollable at speed.

Of course what Pat said is extremely important, raising the motor up and you better have a water pressure gauge so you do not drop the pressure below the recommended motor specs.
    My boat gets highly unstable on the big end. I finally get off of work and go home Friday. I will look into my Prop centerline to pad measurement when I get in. There isn't a water pressure gauge currently on the boat. I am going to look into getting one installed.

19. Member
    And also load the boat as you will normally run it. Keep in mind that your body weight and anything else on your side of the boat must equal to the total weight on the passenger side when running solo. In other words if you are leaning to your side at idle and your boat has the capability of running up on the pad, trying to balance it will be like a paper boy trying to ride his bike with 2 full satchels full of newspapers hangin off his right shoulder and still ride the bike perfectly balanced. Not gonna happen.
    2023 Mercury Racing 300R
    Bravo FS 30P
    ProMax 30P

20. Member
    Yeah I understand how all that works. I just want my rig to run like its supposed to and not have all the problems it haves currently. I will get all the issues sorted out upon my days off this time. I went into this brand of boat blind with no research on my part. I came from a big Skeeter that was as stable as an aircraft carrier. So this light hull is a learning experience for me, but I'll get it figured out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast