Question Bolt hardware for Talon sandwich mount bracket

I've gotten information in this forum about installing my port side Talon bracket but need more information.
    That is, currently I have bolts,washers and nuts now being used but will be too short attaching bracket and need to buy longer bolts.
    Im planning to mount the bracket between the jackplate and engine.
    Currently, two bolts on top are 3" long with HP304 stamped on top of hexagonal head.
    The bottom bolts are 3 1/2" long and stamped on top HP304 of the hexogonal head.

Since the bracket and shim are about an inch thick, I'll need two 4" bolts for the top and 4 1/2" for the bottom.
    Ive read you need a specific type of bolt (alloy, thread type and so on). I thought most bolts are standardized.
    I have Vance jackplate similar to JPL4000 and Evinrude 200XP engine.

I need to know the specifics about kind of bolts, nuts and whatever needed to mount all hardware safely together.
    Of course, where they can be purchased. One nearby boat dealer didn't know about which bolts I needed after I explained about mounting a Talon on the transom using a sandwich bracket.
    Any help is appreciated and thanks for any responses.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LunkerLord; 02-01-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Just buy stainless steel everything! You can usually find it all at a good hardware store. Buy the ny-lock nuts. Torque the 3/4" nuts/bolts to 50 ft lbs, and the 5/16" to 20-30 ft lbs. and use anti-seize!
    Scott Inman

3. Member
    Just want to be sure I get it right on bolts,etc. This bolt/washer/nut is to go through the jackplate, the Talon bracket and engine mount whereas the washer/nut is torque tight (see pictures of side view). These are strictly for mounting bracket.
    If stainless steel, what's the usual diameter of the bolt/nut?
    Gathering up everything to start installation once weather cooperates. Look at pictures and left side to install.
    Hardest part should the mounting part and electrical easier to manage.

The bolts I used were 3/4" stainless steel for mounting the sandwich bracket between jack plate and motor. The smaller bolts that fasten Talon to sandwich bracket and or tilt bracket are 5/16" stainless steel.
    Scott Inman

I would post this question over over in one of the motor forums (Evinrude,Mercury,Yamaha)...your question has more to do with mounting an outboard verse mounting a Talon. If my memory is correct you need a certain grade bolt but I can not recall what grade. Too light of a grade and it will bend and too hard of a grade and it will crack. As someone else mentioned I am pretty sure it stainless but I just don't know what grade bolt...ask in one of the motor forums.

6. Member
    The bolts are 1/2" dia.fine thread. Mercury bolts are grade F593C stainless. You can get them from Mercury or Fastenal or maybe your hardware store. Be sure to use the brass lock nuts. Don't get them too long or you will not have enough threads.
    Last edited by Rick Collis; 02-03-2017 at 08:37 AM.
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

7. Member
    Thanks JR19 & Rick Collis on addition feedback. I measured the current bolts and are 3" long for top and 3 1/2 for bottom.
    I figured the bracket and shim are about an inch thick and would need the bolts be at 4" and 4 1/2 respectively.
    That's leaving enough thread your supposed to have.
    Tried local hardware stores (Lowes,Depot,etc) not finding any bolts of that length or diameter of 1/2".

Ive read fine thread desired and knew the bolt needed to be of a certain grade. Boat dealer had no much to go on when asked.
    I did contact Vance mfg maker of the jackplate and may be able to help. I thought on the nut you would use nylock.
    Read brass nut can be used but others saying not. Matter of opinion?
    I'll check with motor forum as well.
    Thanks for responses and looking for more helpful data.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LunkerLord; 02-03-2017 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Add pictures

8. Member
    Mercury sends brass or brass colored nylocks with their bolt kits. If you use stainless nuts, be sure to use anti seize.
    Rick Collis
    903-473-8820

Fastenal...when it comes to nuts, bolts and hardware if they don't have it they can get it. Just an FYI you going to get striker shock when you see the price of stainless hardware the size you need.

10. Member
    Will be receiving soon the bolts,nuts etc from Vance Mfg for installation. However, still looking on how to mount the bracket without the use of a engine hoist or so. I've read different ways but want to have the easiest way if possible. If any has pictures or best describe the way, i would be grateful. Hope to have it set up by the end of the month. Be doing other work in the meantime installing a finder and so on.
    thanks for any input.

11. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Evinrude/Johnson has a lift ring plate that attaches to the top of the motor. It has an eye bolt to attach a chain so you can lift the motor. Hard to tell what motor you have in the picture. If its a Johnson/Evinrude look in that forum near the top where the sticky threads are. Look for one with the title Homeade Lift Ring. If your motor is a Mercury, Yamaha or whatever just post the question in the appropriate forum asking how to lift a motor.

12. Member
    I have an Evinrude 200xp circa 1994. I was planning on only loosening the bolts and inserting the shim and then the bracket.
    Ive read here where a user did this without a problem. Unless one of you out there lives in No. Va can help, be grateful.
    I know of the lift ring but having no access to being able to "lift" engine and keep it steady.
    Don't have a garage, tree or whatever to use as a brace.
    I know the job wouldn't take long since I'm only moving the engine off jackplate a couple inches and insert bracket/shim.
    Dealing with the rest of the installation should be straightforward.