1997 Mercury 200 EFI rough start and idle

Serial Number: 0g469682
    1997 Mercury 200 EFI

It seems I have sorted out a lot of issues with this motor, but one more has came about. All fuel lines have been changed and updated, new fuel filter, new plugs, compression checks 116-120 on each cylinder. All fuel is fresh. It is a devil to start initially at the lake. I leave the key on for about 15 sec, the bulb is hard, and it tends to take a few tries to get an initial fire. Once started, it dies probably 10 times before I can keep it running. If I try to give it any gas, it just shuts down, like it isn't getting any gas. Once warm, it seems to do fine the rest of the day. Throughout the day it has a rough idle, but takes off fine and tops out at 63 mph with a 24p Tempest Plus on a loaded 1997 Nitro Savage 896. Where do I start or what other information is needed?

2. Member
    need to have sensors [ air & cyl head] tested along with fuel pres and link and sync done JOE
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Thank you. I will start there.

Just went through that same scenario, and another guy with an older 200 EFI had the same problem. That ECU is 20 years old so I would guess fuel pump driver is going out. Don will be along shortly with some good advice for you, but betting he suggests the ECU is the problem. Got mine rebuilt and has been fine since. That and a good fresh battery.

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    need to have sensors [ air & cyl head] tested along with fuel pres and link and sync done JOE
    While an ECU problem is certainly possible, it's VERY wise to start with the BASICS FIRST (Compression, Spark, Fuel Quality/Delivery/Pressure).

And ABSOLUTELY check the items Joe suggested (above)- especially since the problem seems to be worse when the engine is cold.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Would the Throttle Position Sensor be a possible culprit?

7. Member
    dout it
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    dout it
    +1... not impossible, but it's well down the list of likely causes.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Hooked it up to a computer and it is saying a temperature sensor is acting up. Hopefully this is on the right track.

10. Member
    which one air or head both can cause prob

11. Member
    You can check the temp sensor with ice water and nuked water! I just replaced my 1995 sensor and it made a World of difference!

Attached Images Attached Images
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Just a guess- air temp, displaying something close to a couple million degrees?

13. Member
    Air temp sensor was correct. Now it starts great when cold. Once warmed up, it begin sputtering when in drive with no throttle applied. I can run hard for about 7-8 minutes and then it shuts down... normally stays running, but completely drops rpms. I can take off again within about 10 seconds. Any ideas?

14. Member
    Be sure to clean the orficed fittings in the intake for the MAP and Pressure Regulator!
    Berryman or any Carb Choke cleaner with the little red plastic tube will do it!
    HOWEVER, it sounds like you're running out of fuel!!!
    Filters stopped up or pump failing???
    20XDC Bullet/Modified Merc 260
    295TF Charger/Merc 225X-Sold
    20' Contender Pickle Fork/Merc EFI Bridgeport-Sold
    18' Stratus with Sommerford Tunnel Vee Hull/2.4 EFI Merc High Perf-Sold
    Freedom 240DLX Toon/Merc 115
    10' Cougar Cub/Merc 25 on the Bottle
    18" Homebuilt Tunnel/.021 OS Max Outboard on 50% Nitro with a Pipe

15. Member
    I will try to get on checking that immediately. Will it hurt to open either pump up? Any parts I need to go ahead and order? I have checked the Fuel Filter and actually replaced it recently. Same for Fuel lines.

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Pulse pump should have been rebuilt when fuel lines were upgraded (and primer bulb should have been replaced). You'll need a Part# 857005A1 kit, and about 1/2 dozen 816311T Radius-Head Tie Wraps.

VST is a little more tricky... and if you go in there, you will need to replace specific parts. Let's not jump there just yet....

One other note: Double check TPS adjustment, especially since you've replaced the IAT. Very critical that the procedure shown in the Service Manual be followed (exactly).