Buy new or used?

I'm stuck wheather to buy a new boat or to find one that is used I've looked at older z7 and z8 also looked at the new z19 what are the pros and cons to both financing seems to be easier on the new one.

2. Member
    Used with remaining warranty will save you a lot of money and still give you peace of mind. Also look at leftover 2016 new models for good discounts.

You are probably right. And warranty being the original owner is better.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

4. Member
    I would contact rec lending a board sponsor for financing. I just purchased a 2013 Z9 and got 4.49%. Boat has 1 year mercury protection plan remaining and I was able to get an affordable extended after market warranty plan through rec equal to mercury platinum service plan.

5. Member
    Thanks guys

I rushed out to get a z8 when the z20 launched because I needed more freeboard to fish in the wind everyday up here. Other benefits would be cost and depth of storage better on z8/7. If those aren't a plus to you get a newer one. You have a good problem to have, best of luck.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    You have a good problem to have, best of luck.
    That's the truth! I just bought a boat last month and went used because I didn't want to pay new price. I stayed in the market for 3 months before I found what I was looking for. I'm glad I waited and didn't buy new personally. I say get do your homework and find a well-care-for used and spend the extra on electronics/other equipment upgrades if needed.
    "If you only have men that will come when there is a good road, do not send them. I want men who will come when there is no road at all."

8. Member
    Regardless of whether you buy new or used, make sure you have that joker insured to the max!! I barely bumped a stump last fall and it ended up doing $1500 of damage to the lower unit and $7000 of fiberglass work. I was only out my $500 deductible. I've seen guys buy used boats and get cut-rate insurance or "self-insure", just be aware that a seemingly minor impact can end up running you thousands to repair.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

9. Member
    that is not "barely bumping a stump" unless you mean "barely bumped at 50mph or so".

Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    that is not "barely bumping a stump" unless you mean "barely bumped at 50mph or so".

11. Member
    I really like the z19. Call pros choice they probably have a bunch. If you were looking at a 20 or 21 footer I'd say get a used z8 or z9. The price on the 20/21 are a lot higher than the last model

12. Member
    BTW, if you look carefully and take your time, you can find good deals. I had decided on Bass Cat a long time back. Started looking the end of last Summer, and found exactly what I was looking for in late october. A 2008 pantera classic with a 2014 pro xs 200 with about 6 months of the original factory warranty left plus it came with two additional years of mercury platinum protection. Cost me $100 to transfer that with Merc. If you buy used, you will have to make compromises somewhere, obviously. But you can certainly pick the length, the motor brand, and mostly the color (I wanted a mainly white boat as my previous one had a lot of black on the cap, and a lot of my skin permanently burned into the black during the Summer. I found mine for some $6,000 under the NADA "average" price yet the hull was flawless. And NADA doesn't factor in some things like humminbird 998's on both ends plus a 787 built in to the console. I ran across a couple that were close to what I wanted (I had no specific colors I had to have, just NOT anything purple or yellow (or both)). But I kept looking and found it advertised on a Friday and went for a lake test and pulled it home on Saturday.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldTimer57 View Post
    Believe it or not, I was going less than 5mph. It was just a wrong place, wrong time situation. I went to get on plane in 12 feet of water directly over an 11.5 foot tree and when it sat down in the hole, it drove the pad straight down on the tree. The impact felt minimal because of the location and way it hit, but the fiberglass guys said it was just a bullseye on the worst place possible with the worst direction of force. I still don't see how it was 55 hours of glass work for that small an area, but I wasn't paying for it and the insurance company didn't seem to question it.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade