Spider Rigging reel??

I am going to be giving spider rigging a shot later this year. I already have the poles I want, and pole holder, but I am wondering what reels any of you guys prefer? I have read low profile baitcasters are the way to go. And I know lots of people use spinning reels. I know it boils down to opinion.... but I would like to hear any recommendations so I can make a better purchase the first time. Any help appreciated. I will be mostly pushing jigs or sitting over brushpiles.

Joe
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

Low profile baitcasters. Easy to adjust depth and no line twist. You get a better quality reel for the $$ spent too. I'm using Daiwa Laguna's.

If the rods you have are spinning rods you might look into straight-line ice fishing reels.

Depending on how much you want to spend there are many options from $30 (or maybe even cheaper) all the way up to $110. My personal favorite is the Frabill 371. Does everything well (smooth, good drag, solidly built), plus has the most line pick up per reel turn in the straight-line market at 22 inches. It also comes with a long stem in the package which would make it much more palatable on an open water setup. They retail for $70 but can usually be had for about $50 on sale this time of year.

Eagle Claw actually makes a decent one if you wanted to go a little cheaper. I've found that most of the "cheap" straight line reels are all the same components. The Eagle Claw is the cheapest of these identical reels.

13 makes several good options as well. Their two top models are also the two most expensive straight-line options available from big manufacturers. The 6061 Black Betty checks in at $100, though I don't think it's as good as the Frabill 371. They've also got a new one called the FreeFall that runs like $110 but is actually selling at a premium due to stock outs. It's got some sort of trigger mechanism to control drop - probably not ideal for what you're wanting it to do, and at the price, I think there are much better options.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

4. Member
    Thanks guys. Well, I decided to go with some left hand baitcast reels for my 14ft southern crappie rods. Quantum Ultrex. Got a good deal on a set of 4.
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI

5. Member
    I use Shimano IX 1000 there 12 bucks at academy sports you want find a better reel for the price especially for spider rigging.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Javelin 180 View Post
    I use Shimano IX 1000 there 12 bucks at academy sports you want find a better reel for the price especially for spider rigging.
    I agree with that. I was going to go that route, but decided to give the baitcasters a try. Thanks
    Joe

2000 Viper Coral 202
    2001 Mercury 200 EFI