Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Power Poles vs Talon

Hey guys I am going to order a new boat and have never had or thought I had a need for PP or Talons before but I will admit I can see an advantage to them and figure I would rather have them rigged on a new boat then deciding to do it later. What I can't decide is which way to go. I could envision the PP not being able to be deployed because of a tree or if at a dock or bank some idiot hitting them, neither of these seem to be an issue with the Talon. However it seems to me that more people have the PP which I have learned in the past if the masses are buying something there is probably a good reason for it.

So what do you guys think? Pros and cons of each?

2. Member
    Do a search on this and there will be volumes to read.

I had two 8-foot Talons on my last boat. They worked great and I have nothing but good things to say about the Talon product. But I just found that I didn't use them as much as I thought I would. In the spring time, I used them more but outside of that I was using them more at the dock than anything else. And even then, I could have done without them.

Also, 8-foot anchors will hold you only in about 7 foot or less of water. I fish Amistad and Alan Henry mostly, and I am not in 7-foot of water other than during the spawn.

My only advice is to get two and then get the longest two you can find. Talon makes 12 footers. If you get 10-footers, there will be times you wish you had the twelves. If 14 footers come out, I would want those.

On my new boat, I opted to not have any installed. There have been a couple of times that I would have used them, but I haven't felt like not having them has cost me any fish.

Seems to me that the Ultrex trolling motor might be the better way to go for me.

3. Member
    Yeah I was wondering if the new Ultrex motor with spot lock kind of takes away most of the need for PP or Talons.

Go to the tallon power pole forum.

Both are great products. Not gonna bash anyone. The only reason i got a talon was because it goes up and down as opposed to back behind the boat. I have seen people run into the power poles. Not knowing they were there.
    2008 Ranger 178VX
    150 Yamaha V-max

GO Fins!!!

I like PP better than the Talon because I think the look better and I can tell whether there are up or down more easily.

Really a Chevy - Ford debate. They are both good.
    Bass Cat Caracal STS / Mercury 300 ProXS
    Jayco Northpoint 377 RLBH
    GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    #ChargeOn #HereWeGo

7. Member
    12ft. Enough said

8. "OVER THE LINE SMOKEY!" headhigh's Avatar
    Are the new Talons quieter than the originals? I've heard that most people go with the PP's because the Talons were very noisy.
    1998 Ranger R93
    1998 Mercury 200 EFI

"Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."

9. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by headhigh View Post
    Are the new Talons quieter than the originals? I've heard that most people go with the PP's because the Talons were very noisy.
    The Talons are certainly louder above the water (I have two 12' Talons). Debatable about the noise under the water. People and trolling motors make more noise than either Talons or PPs.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

10. Member
    i have a 12' talon,easy to install and works great

Both are great. After helping a guy load his boat with a broken hydraulic line and oil all over his back deck and in his bilge, I went with talon. Know full well that something electrical well eventually go bad. Both are good.

12. Member
    I went with a Talon because I'm using it for two boats. Bought another mounting bracket, takes 5 minutes to switch over the Talon form one boat to the other. Cant do that with a Power Pole, although I will agree the PP looks much better.

13. Member
    I've owned both blades and the new talons. Yes, the new talons are far quieter than the old ones. For me, the 12ft talon is the only way to go!

I have owned both and like the talons better. I have 10 footers now but with the addition of the ultrex i would gladly trade my 10' for a much more compact 8 footers as the only stick about the height or your engine cowling.

15. Banned
    I've had severel sets of 8ft poles and after having new bushing installed over and over and over, I'm putting 12ft Talons on and off with the poles, I've had enough.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by buster502 View Post
    i have a 12' talon,easy to install and works great

2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

17. Member
    League City, TX/Lake Sam Rayburn (Rayburn Country)
    I have two sets of Power Pole blades, work for me.

I like the power pole better. I only have the one 8 footer and since I have spot lock on the trolling motor, I really don't use it much any more. Never had a Talon but would think they might get in the way of your casting at times where the power pole drops down and out of the way and the power pole's spike will flex and won't break should you take off with it deployed. (I've done that a few times). Does the Talon spike flex?
    04 Sea Pro SV2100cc w/ Suzuki DF150
    02 Scout 162 Sportfisher w/ Yamaha 60

Yes the tallon spike flexes, but it won't fair as well as a pp if you throw it in gear and hammer it. But any thing short of that you will know an anchor is down cause you'll hear the gravel or alarm.

20. Member
    12" Talon works for me

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast