Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Powerpole or talons for nitro z7

Which one is a better setup for the nitro z7

2. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    all personal preference. weight of poles and brackets plays a factor on smaller rigs.

Each option weighs in close, pp is lighter on the transom but needs to have pump in bilge and 2 pumps in my z8 it's packed. That said looking at other forms will give you ideas, how are you going to use them? That's for you to answer, after that it's up to you to see the pros and cons of each.

4. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    id rather have distributed weight then all of it on the A$$ end especially on a smaller boat like a Z7. Big weight savings on just the brackets alone compared to talon.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kandkkustomzhydrographics View Post
    id rather have distributed weight then all of it on the A$$ end especially on a smaller boat like a Z7. Big weight savings on just the brackets alone compared to talon.
    I went with power poles and the deciding factor was the extra weight of the talons and the brackets. My boat is a Triton TR186
    John the Garage Doorman

6. Member
    I'm in this same discussion. I have a Z175, just not sure I have the room for the pumps. Unless I use the room and weight issue to justify purchasing a 24V lithium? More room and less weight, sounds like a win win

7. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    New cmonster 2.0 pumps have a smaller footprint, cant imagine a boat with not enough room for pumps..

8. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Doorman1 View Post
    I went with power poles and the deciding factor was the extra weight of the talons and the brackets. My boat is a Triton TR186

9. Member
    What's the pump size when I got the dimensions 3 months ago I could not fit them in my 21 foot hawk.

10. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    pumps foot print is about 7" x 7" they are little shorter now at 8.5" high

11. Member
    The Talons I installed really affected the boats performance. I like the way the Talons work better than the PP but if I had to d it again I think PP would be my choice.

12. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator

13. Member
    I have a Z7 and went power pole. The deciding factor was their customer service. Absolute best customer service I have received from any company. Power Pole really stands behind their product.

14. Member
    Which ones did you go with

15. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    sure do

I think they're both great, but I put a pair of Sportsman 2's with brackets on my 18' BCB Sabre FTD with 150hp Pro XS last year after doing a lot of research and considering the weight difference between PP and Talons. I saw how the Talons my buddy put on his 19' Stratos affected his holeshot, and ended up going with the PP due to a mix of cost (I could get a pair for not a whole lot more than a single Talon) and the weight. There is enough of a weight difference between the two, that I thought it was going to make a big difference in performance on my 18'. It's important to note the weight distribution as indicated above. There's a lot less weight on the transom with the PP than there is with the Talons. On a 20 or 21 footer it's less of an issue, but I felt that on an 18' rig, it was a big consideration. So I loaded my BCB with the pair of Sportsman 2's and there was honestly zero effect on holeshot or top speed. I was actually kind of shocked. The Sabre is a bit lighter and shorter than the Z7, but something to consider...
    2019 Bass Cat Caracal, Mercury 225 Pro XS 4 stroke

For Northern IN/Southern MI action and BCB love, follow me on instagram: @professorbeard

17. Member
    I mean leaning more towards pp but do I want to spend the money on blades or get sportsmen?

18. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    be happy price both.. or all 3 The pro series 2 is a good value and is Powerpole's mid line model.

I have one Talon installed on the port side of my 2011 Z7. I went with Talon, due to not having to mount pump in tight battery area in back of my boat. It has not affected my hole shot or top end at all. I am very happy with the performance of the Talon. With that being said, my brother has the Power Poles on his Z9. They did not effect his performance either. I like the way both products perform. Talon just used less space on my Z7 is all.

My neighbor installed Talons the same time I installed PP. We compared weight and the actual Talon was slightly heavier than than the PP. Adding in the PP pump they were basically equal. The huge difference was in the brackets. The Talon bracket is ridiculous IMO.

I do like the 12' and holding power of the Talons though. A 12' Talon on a braced PP bracket would be perfect!!!

I'd still go PP especially on a Z-7.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast