Smile Info on Okatibbee

Hey guys, our club (about 25 Members) is looking at a new location for our first tourney of the year. I saw where Okatibbee was on the Bassmasters list of good lakes in the Southeast. We are a club in SE Missouri and like to head south in early spring. Would you recommend this lake in late March? We have fished Sardis, Ross Barnett, Guntersville, Dardanelle, Chickamauga, etc. in the spring and are just looking at options. We are about 5 hrs away. Thanks for any input.

2. Member
    If you catch it right in the springtime it can be great. If you catch it high and muddy it can be tough also. I've fished it both ways. W e haven't had much rain and I haven't been over there this year so I don't know what it looks like. I'd rather fish it over Barnett or Sardis any time.

3. Member
    I wouldn't recommend making a 5 hour trip to fish it. It fishes small(real small), 25 boats plus regular traffic is going to make for alot of shared water. Not to mention the water level fluctuations. Last March we got a heavy rain and the lake rose 6 ft in 2 days. That's not an exaggeration......6 ft! I was fishing around picnic tables and garbage cans. I made a few casts onto a playground and basketball court all in about 3' of water. My vote if you are coming down here from Missouri would be Pickwick or maybe Bay Springs Lake.
    2015 Nitro Z9
    Mercury Optimax 250
    Lowrance Ghost
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live bow
    Dual Lowrance HDS9 Live console
    Lowrance Active Target
    Dual 8' Power Pole Blade

4. Member
    jdlong49, thx for the info. We have fished both Pickwick and Bay Springs in the past, but not in the spring. May give them a try.