Verado break in question

I have a new 2017 250 pro Verado. Sorry, don' thave the serial number with me at the moment Don. The manual gives a 2 liner about where to keep the rpm range, to not keep it constant rpms for long periods, and that you can run WOT for one minute every 10. I have read here and elsewhere some other things about the break in and while I understand the limited info in the manual I have some questions for those much more knowledgable than I.

1) I've heard that it is good to get the boat as heavy as possible to run under a load during break in. True/False?
    2) When it says WOT, is that WOT trimmed down and tucked or can you air it out? It doesn't specify but that is also something I've read on these boards.
    3) Any other best practices I should be aware of? I've heard that it is good to run it like you stole it to help seat the rings. I assume that means the next 8 hours of the breakin to run as much WOT as possible given that you aren't supposed to run it at that speed for more than x minutes at a time.

Thanks fellas. This is my first Vrod, as well as my first new motor period so I want to do it right.

2. Member
    1st 2 hrs.
    1. Yes keep the boat loaded even fill the live wells
    2. Run it with the motor trimmed down as far as you can safety drive.
    3. You can trim up on your wot run.
    Basically follow your manual procedure.

the main goal is to keep it loaded and run multiple heat cycles.

Last edited by born 2 fish; 01-30-2017 at 08:20 AM.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

3. Member
    Thanks, he is even running my boat. I do have an additional question that is likely a stupid one but I looked around and couldn't find a clear answer. One of the reasons I got the merc monitor was to keep tabs on engine temp and ensure i got it warmed up before pushing it too hard. With that said, there is water temp and oil temp screens but I don't see an "engine" temp display. Is engine temp and oil temp the same thing or am I missing the engine temp display somewhere?

4. Member
    Sorry, one more additional question. When you say run multiple heat cycles, I had planned on going and just running around for 2 hours which I assume doesn't meet the criteria of multiple heat cycles. Is it better if I shut it down every half hour or so, fish a while and let it cool before trying again? Is that what you mean by multiple heat cycles?

5. Member
    I woul assume you would look at oil temperature.
    You can do 2hrs straight if you want. That really don't matter I don't think. I did my 4- stroke in 2 days for the 1st 2hrs but I was on a small lake and didn't want to annoy the fisherman to much.
    2023 Phoenix 819 pro
    2023 200 Pro XS 4s 3B373365

pond boat
    2020 pelican Bass raider 10E

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kybluediver View Post
    I have a new 2017 250 pro Verado. Sorry, don' thave the serial number with me at the moment Don. The manual gives a 2 liner about where to keep the rpm range, to not keep it constant rpms for long periods, and that you can run WOT for one minute every 10. I have read here and elsewhere some other things about the break in and while I understand the limited info in the manual I have some questions for those much more knowledgable than I.

1) I've heard that it is good to get the boat as heavy as possible to run under a load during break in. True/False?
    2) When it says WOT, is that WOT trimmed down and tucked or can you air it out? It doesn't specify but that is also something I've read on these boards.
    3) Any other best practices I should be aware of? I've heard that it is good to run it like you stole it to help seat the rings. I assume that means the next 8 hours of the breakin to run as much WOT as possible given that you aren't supposed to run it at that speed for more than x minutes at a time.

Thanks fellas. This is my first Vrod, as well as my first new motor period so I want to do it right.
    1. Loaded heavy is good.
    2. Level trim is fine. WOT = FULL throttle.
    3. Yes, recommend hard-runs, varying engine RPM's at least once every 5 minutes. Even a couple hundred RPM's is a variance.
    4. Continue #3 until the 10 hour mark.

Heat cycles are best done in the first 2-3 hours. Full temp, good run, idle to stabilize temp, and shut down. Allow engine to cool completely. That's ONE heat cycle.

Hope this helps!

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor