help / suggestions for pork-country style shoulder 'ribs'

Found some of these at the grocery. Boneless,about two inches square. that I want do for next Sunday and Super Bowl . Thinking to do a rub Saturday then cook for a while in root beer in a low oven Sunday,then put on gas grill for a finish. Would like to know. time in oven and temp to tenderize before grilling, and other suggestions. Thanks for the help...BF

Around here country style ribs are just a pork butt sliced . If I don't use one of my smokers I just grill them indirectly low and slow . Once they are fork tender about 175 degrees I move them to the hot side of the grill and sauce .
    Bryon

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hawgjaw View Post
    Around here country style ribs are just a pork butt sliced . If I don't use one of my smokers I just grill them indirectly low and slow . Once they are fork tender about 175 degrees I move them to the hot side of the grill and sauce .
    Bryon

Same here . The store just cuts up a $1.25 a pound butt and charges $2.50 a pound for it........GRRRRrrr !!!!!!!

4. Member
    I had a suspicion that's what it was. Looked too good to pass over. It'll be enough for wife and me and some left over. I find whole loins too dry. Not enough fat in them. Any suggestion on how to cook that without it coming out like shoes? Wife has thing about pink meat...BF

5. Member
    I did a loin last week i actually injected it with apple juice and garlic powder let it set for an hr, then took it out and put it in a cast iron skillet and browned all sides turning frquntly then stuck in the oven in a roasting pan at 250 and cooked for 30 min turned reallly moiste and tasted great.

Country ribs i do like the others but i rub them down stick in the oven till almost done them throw on hot grill to brown up and put suce on half if in the mmod.

6. Member
    Basssworm1, was the roaster covered? I'm not familiar with a roasting pan. Thanks...BF

Quote Originally Posted by BIGFLAT View Post
    I had a suspicion that's what it was. Looked too good to pass over. It'll be enough for wife and me and some left over. I find whole loins too dry. Not enough fat in them. Any suggestion on how to cook that without it coming out like shoes? Wife has thing about pink meat...BF
    Not a loin but part of the shoulder called the butt. Plenty of fat in a butt or a whole shoulder ! A loin is a totally different cut of meat.
    Bryon

8. Banned
    Not a loin but part of the shoulder called the butt. Plenty of fat in a butt or a whole shoulder ! A loin is a totally different cut of meat.
    Bryon
    Some butchers will put out counry style ribs of the loin. The CSR with the bone is the shoulder cut. 2 different cooks also. The loin just cook hot and quick, shoulder low heat and check around 170-175.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGFLAT View Post
    Basssworm1, was the roaster covered? I'm not familiar with a roasting pan. Thanks...BF
    Yes i have a smaller one with a glass lid i use for loins and small roasts and chickens

Quote Originally Posted by Clif Kincaid View Post
    Some butchers will put out counry style ribs of the loin. The CSR with the bone is the shoulder cut. 2 different cooks also. The loin just cook hot and quick, shoulder low heat and check around 170-175.
    Good call Clif ! I also smoke loins low and slow only if wrapped in bacon and injected.
    Bryon

11. Banned
    Good call Clif ! I also smoke loins low and slow only if wrapped in bacon and injected.
    Bryon
    Exactly. ...the loin has no fat and will dry out.