Thread: Rod Tie-downs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    tie a knot in it

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
    tie a knot in it
    Looking to do it right. There's lots of easy fixes. Was just wanting to see what other folks were using and maybe explore an upgrade to the bungee tie down. Thanks all. Appreciate the advice.
    Chad Holm
    2014 Triton TX17
    2014 60HP Mercury Four Stroke
    MotorGuide X3 45lb /12V
    Garmin echoMAP 73sv
    PowerPole Micro Anchor
    Odyssey Extreme marine batteries

3. Member
    Amazon has ones for $6.88. I just got one for the back deck to keep my buddies rods out of my way when fishing and it looks exactly like the one that came factory on my tx17
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019P...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by Kelster1574 View Post
    If your the kind of guy that wants it to say Ranger......here they are for $15

http://www.rangerwear.com/12-Pro-Mod...lder-P176.aspx
    Ya, might as well as some class to that triton.
    2017 Ranger RT188, Dual Console, Crystal Red Metallic, Mercury 115 Pro XS Four Stroke, Command Thrust with Tempest 24P, 52 MPH GPS @ 5200 RPM
    Motor Guide 80 lb Xi5 Pin Point/GPS , Lowrance HDS 7 w/Totalscan @ Console, Lowrance Elite 7 TI @ Bow; Romans 6:23

Quote Originally Posted by tinfox42 View Post
    Tie a knot in it works great
    That' what I am talking about !

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Senkosiggy View Post
    Amazon has ones for $6.88. I just got one for the back deck to keep my buddies rods out of my way when fishing and it looks exactly like the one that came factory on my tx17
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019P...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Thanks!
    Chad Holm
    2014 Triton TX17
    2014 60HP Mercury Four Stroke
    MotorGuide X3 45lb /12V
    Garmin echoMAP 73sv
    PowerPole Micro Anchor
    Odyssey Extreme marine batteries

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    I prefer the retractable cords like Skeeter uses but they require access under the deck to tie off the other end of the bungee cord. Since my gunwale is hollow, I put this together. It is mounted by drilling a 3/4 hole in the gunnel and tapping two 10-24 holes for the mount. I feed the captured bungee cord through the 3/4 hole into the hollow gunwale and retain the mount with two 10-24 stainless steel screws. I bought the 1/4 bungee cord from amazon, the clear tubing at Lowes and made the mount from a piece of starboard material. I used the ends from my old tiedowns. Works great and relatively inexpensive.
    Very slick! I like it. So does the bungee retract into the gunwale, or do you have to snake it in there? What is the end inside the gunwale attached to?

Bills setup is very slick. alot of good options I have to say the rod buckles are tough to beat flush mounted to the deck the strap is wide and it has the perfect amount of tension to hold the rods in.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

Quote Originally Posted by CastingCall View Post
    Very slick! I like it. So does the bungee retract into the gunwale, or do you have to snake it in there? What is the end inside the gunwale attached to?
    The bungee does retract under it's own tension. I used the screw down end of my original bungee on The "free" end of the cord so it stops against the open end of the clear plastic tubing providing resistance to retract the cord. The clear tube assembly just lies free in the hollow gunwale. I am probably over explaining. If you are interested in making one of these, let me know and I will send you a drawing of the starboard piece, it is not obvious but it has a counterbore in the back side to capture the clear tube.
    I have used the rod buckles and liked the retract feature but did not like that my rods were always laying on it when I needed it and I did not want to cut that much out of the gunwale to mount it there for fear that it could weaken the gunwale. I thought about this for a long time until I finally hit on the clear tube idea.
    Last edited by Bill Reynolds; 02-03-2017 at 07:30 AM.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12