Today's Bible Reading Sunday January 29, 2017

Old Testament (New King James Version)

The Book of Micah: Chapter 1:14-16

Therefore you shall give presents to Moresheth Gath;
    The houses of Achzib shall be a lie to the kings of Israel.

I will yet bring an heir to you,
    O inhabitant of Mareshah;
    The glory of Israel shall come to Adullam.

Make yourself bald and cut off your hair,
    Because of your precious children;
    Enlarge your baldness like an eagle,
    For they shall go from you into captivity.

New Testament (New King James Version)

The Gospel According to Mark: Chapter 8:22-27-30

Then He came to Bethsaida; and they brought a blind man to Him, and begged Him to touch him. So He took the blind man by the hand and led him out of the town. And when He had spit on his eyes and put His hands on him, He asked him if he saw anything. And he looked up and said, "I see men like trees, walking." Then He put His hands on his eyes again and made him look up. And he was restored and saw everyone clearly. Then He sent him away to his house, saying, "Neither go into the town, nor tell anyone in the town."

Now Jesus and His disciples went out to the towns of Caesarea Philippi; and on the road He asked His disciples, saying to them, "Who do men say that I am?" So they answered, "John the Baptist; but some say, Elijah; and others, one of the prophets." He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Peter answered and said to Him, "You are the Christ." Then He strictly warned them that they should tell no one about Him.

I always wondered why Jesus ask for people not to tell anyone about being healed or the Disciples not to spread the word that he was the Christ. My Minister said that he also wondered about this and his conclusion was that it was "reverse Psychology. By telling people not to teall, he knew darn well that they would spread the word.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments