Verado and Verado Pro Four Stroke

What is the difference between and Verado and Verado Pro Four Stroke, same weight displacement hp? Friend is getting one and does not know. One had red trim etc...Thanks

2. Member
    If I remember correctly from my research of buying my new boat biggest difference is the verodo has a beefier gear case. I believe

The Verado has the 5.44 case and the Pro has the 4.8

4. Member
    Thanks gentlemen figure there was more, just know they are the real deal. Heavy but very good motor. Sound like a airplane going on the water smooth and quiet.

Programming is more aggressive on Pro model, rpm range, fuel/air / timing stronger. The case is 4.8 and gear ratio allows for better holeshot to WOT speeds
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

Quote Originally Posted by 2500 View Post
    Programming is more aggressive on Pro model, rpm range, fuel/air / timing stronger. The case is 4.8 and gear ratio allows for better holeshot to WOT speeds
    Maybe someone who knows definitively can chime in, but I don't think that's accurate.

My understanding is there are no differences to programming or performance, the only difference between the two models is the gearcase. The Pro model gearcase is designed for lighter, faster boats with less chance of the drive surfacing.

Waxy

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy View Post
    Maybe someone who knows definitively can chime in, but I don't think that's accurate.

My understanding is there are no differences to programming or performance, the only difference between the two models is the gearcase. The Pro model gearcase is designed for lighter, faster boats with less chance of the drive surfacing.

Waxy

8. Member

9. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2500 View Post
    This is correct. The Pro model also has programming that permits the engine to make better power with higher-octane fuel.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    This is correct. The Pro model also has programming that permits the engine to make better power with higher-octane fuel.
    I can't find any mention of that specifically in a search of info from Mercury.

I found this -

7. Which 250 or 300 hp Verado should I buy?

If you’re running a single-engine boat that goes over 55 mph, such as a bass boat, a freshwater multi-species boat, flats/bay boat, or a pontoon boat, we recommend you go with the new 250 or 300 Verado Pro with the standard 4.8-inch gearcase.

If you’re running a larger, heavier single-engine boat with a top speed of less than 55 mph, or any multi-engine (dual, triple, or quad) boat, you’ll want to go with the 5.44-inch, 1.85 model. This larger gearcase will provide the added robustness and lift that these increasingly larger boats require. In addition, it will provide the shock-absorbing protection of the Flo Torq II hub system.

If you’re the type of offshore operator who continuously finds yourself in very rough seas, or if you’re a more aggressive boat driver who finds your propellers are frequently ventilating (the propellers are coming in and out of the water rapidly, creating significant load / unload on the engine’s drive train), you will want the 300 hp Mercury Verado with the silver 5.44-inch, 1.75 HD gearcase. The 5.44-inch, 1.75 HD gearcase provides a larger propeller shaft and the solid hub system that is more suited for this type of environment. It is important to note that this gearcase option requires the use of Mercury Racing’s 1.25-inch solid propeller hub kit (the HD gearcase is not compatible with the Flo Torq II shock-absorbing hub system).

9. Is there a performance difference between the 300 Pro FourStroke and the 300 Verado with the larger gearcase?

The actual power output of the 300 hp Verado is the same regardless of which gearcase is used. However, it is important to note that the 5.44-inch gearcase is significantly larger than the 4.8-inch gearcase. On some boats this will be advantageous because the added weight and lift of this gearcase will help increase boat speed. On smaller, lighter boats, the 4.8-inch gearcase will likely deliver higher top speeds due to lower hydrodynamic drag characteristics. Mercury recommends the Pro FourStroke variants for all single-engine boats that travel faster than 55 mph, including bass, multi-species, flats/bay, and tri-toons, for maximum performance.

Max. power with premium fuel seems to be universal to the Verado -

• "Unleaded Regular 87 Octane Minimum (R+M)/2 or 91 RON Unleaded 91 Octane or 95 RON for premium performance in all conditions 10% Ethanol Maximum" is stated in the brochure for the standard Verado 300 and the 300 Pro.

http://mercurymarine.sv7076.si-serve...outboards.aspx

Waxy

I would assume like all their other "pro" models pro xs etc there are just a few tweaks here and there to give it an edge. If it was just a gearcase change why not just offer the standard motor with 2 gearcase options then? You know there is more to it then that.
    Roy
    2020 Triton 18 Trx
    Mercury 200 Pro XS V8
    Bravo FS 24P Prop
    Atlas 6” jp
    Dual Humminbird Helix 10 MEGA SI
    Minnkota Ultrex.

12. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Waxy: You're correct in regards to the 300. There are numerous other HP models that are NOT the same.

The key is in this statement:

Quote Originally Posted by Waxy, from Owner's Manual
    "Unleaded Regular 87 Octane Minimum (R+M)/2 or 91 RON Unleaded 91 Octane or 95 RON for premium performance in all conditions 10% Ethanol Maximum"
    Select Verado models have had this type of programming (going all the way back to the 275hp, which was essentially replaced by the 250 Pro).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by basstrackeroptimax View Post
    I would assume like all their other "pro" models pro xs etc there are just a few tweaks here and there to give it an edge. If it was just a gearcase change why not just offer the standard motor with 2 gearcase options then? You know there is more to it then that.
    There is more to it than that lol.

From what I can find in researching it, the reason for Mercury re-branding the Verado lineup with the smaller gearcase option is the reason that any company brands things with a label like "Pro", it appeals to people and convinces them that they're buying something that's "better".

Whether or not it's completely true, it's powerful marketing...

Waxy

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Waxy: You're correct in regards to the 300. There are numerous other HP models that are NOT the same.

The key is in this statement:

Select Verado models have had this type of programming (going all the way back to the 275hp, which was essentially replaced by the 250 Pro).
    The statement you bolded is in the owner's manual of every Verado, from 200-300HP, Pro and Standard, but I suppose it doesn't have to apply to every HP and model designation equally.

You probably are right Don, you've got 100X the knowledge and experience that I do with Mercury outboards, and I can't find anything online to prove it one way or another.

Waxy

15. Member
    So is there a difference in the 300 Verado other than the Gear Case than?? My new 2017 Ranger 621 is coming with the Pro..

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookerz Tackle View Post
    So is there a difference in the 300 Verado other than the Gear Case than?? My new 2017 Ranger 621 is coming with the Pro..
    They are essentially the same, except for the gearcase and the decals (specific to the 300 Verado, and 300 Verado Pro).