Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How long can this record Dow levels continue without a correction?

I was scared just before the election and took over half of my 401K money out of stocks and mutual funds and this money is just sitting there not making anything. I guess the good news is my account is not going down, its just not going up much either. I guess I just have to sleep in the bed I made but can't see getting in with the highs so high. Anyone with a recommendation on a stock to make me a millionaire, promise not to tell anyone..............LOL
    1990 481V
    2005 195VS Intracoastal (Redfish Edition)
    2015 119C
    Love my Ranger Boats

My retirement plan is going gangbusters since the election. But, that is slightly off-set by the chunk of Smith and Wesson that I bought before the election thinking that the other candidate was going to win.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

3. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    There will be a correction but there are two questions that need to be asked. One, is will that correction be from these current levels, or a correction come from 1000 points higher. The other question is will you be prepared to buy during that correction while the media continues to scare investors out of their positions, or will you think you should wait and buy lower.

There are many who are saying we are at a top and that the correction is imminent. But those people are in cash or are short. Many are simply hoping for a correction and then looking for reasons to justify a correction.

A real correction will come from an unforeseen events.
    Thanos was the hero

Anyone with a recommendation on a stock to make me a millionaire, promise not to tell anyone..............LOL[/QUOTE]

The last couple weeks I have gotten numerous junk e-mails saying to invest in Pharmaceutical Marijuana penny stocks.

my advise is don't invest in any OLD Y2K Crapola and other scams

6. Member
    Could this Feb be a repeat of last??? Maybe so!

7. Member
    Been thinking a correction is due for 4 months.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ANDYE View Post
    Been thinking a correction is due for 4 months.
    People have been waiting on a correction for years now at this point.

When the correction does happen, there will be plenty of people claiming they called it.

9. Member
    20,000 is just a stepping stone to 30,000. There will be a correction, but long term, it will continue to rise.....just like it has since 1929. Only problem comes when you start getting short on time before retirement. Then corrections kill you.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    20,000 is just a stepping stone to 30,000. There will be a correction, but long term, it will continue to rise.....just like it has since 1929. Only problem comes when you start getting short on time before retirement. Then corrections kill you.

NoCAL
    Yeah, tell me about it! I retired in 2013 and the 2008 crash took away any chance of my retirement fund doubling before I could retire.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

11. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Remember when just the thought of a rate hike would send the market down a couple percentage points. Now, every Fed meeting is live, is bullish. Strong dollar, WAS bad for stocks, now bullish. Greece debt was going to cause a contagion, and send the market sharply lower, now bullish. The list goes on. we can't buy a 1/2% down day now.
    Thanos was the hero

12. Member
    Sometimes I think we are just better off to just turn off the TV, all that noise seems to cause panic and fear.

Quote Originally Posted by boneil View Post
    There will be a correction but there are two questions that need to be asked. One, is will that correction be from these current levels, or a correction come from 1000 points higher. The other question is will you be prepared to buy during that correction while the media continues to scare investors out of their positions, or will you think you should wait and buy lower.

There are many who are saying we are at a top and that the correction is imminent. But those people are in cash or are short. Many are simply hoping for a correction and then looking for reasons to justify a correction.

A real correction will come from an unforeseen events.
    Yep, X100.

14. Banned
    Always keep "puts" in mind to protect yourself from a correction!

15. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    Don't get too excited. There is an artificial bid in the market that you won't hear about on the financial news outlets.

An ex-floor trader, who has some pretty big contacts has been talking about about something screwy in the market, and was informed that there is a hedge fund that is trapped short by billions. In December this fund shorted the S&P futures, millions worth. When the market went up, instead of covering and taking the loss, they leveraged down with options, which led them to be exposed to billions in losses. There are different theories as what exactly they are doing with the options, hedging, selling volatility, but the end result is the same. They are in trouble unless the market dramatically goes down, and even then they will be forced to eventually unwind their trade which will put a bid into the market.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-0...plicable-surge

This article tells part of the story. Some think this will end Friday, options expiration. And to an extent it will. But what the article doesn't say is that the fund has rolled forward their positions to June options expiration. Which may give another catalyst into the summer.
    Thanos was the hero

16. Stocks/Investments Moderator boneil's Avatar
    of course CNBC reports on it this morning. They're always late. And now the Fund responds and says they have finished adjusting and is out. Now lets see what the market does over the next couple days.
    Thanos was the hero

I'm still going to hold out for a while, cannot see buying back in at these highs because if there is a correction then I will lose a lot more than I will gain getting in at record Dow levels (this is my simple thinking anyway). I still cannot for the life of me figure out with how much debt we have as a country, the trade deficit and millions on welfare and out of a job how in the hell can this market continue to go up.This stock market if you don't know what your doing will drive you crazy. Chalk me up in this category.
    1990 481V
    2005 195VS Intracoastal (Redfish Edition)
    2015 119C
    Love my Ranger Boats

Warren Buffet was on CNBC saying that sock prices are still cheap based on low interest rates.

I went from (3 years) aggressive to moderate today

20. Member
    Timing always tough. If the green-man says 'irrational exuberance', though, I'm outta there ...
    Do not take your half in the middle ....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast